ohhhhhh! terrible effect of xrandr -o normal/left in lxqt

Please post all general support questions for LXDE here.
oui

ohhhhhh! terrible effect of xrandr -o normal/left in lxqt

Post by oui »

I am a great amateur of biking and often use biking maps and process them in OpenStreetMaps, dialog with authorities etc.

As I have a laptop, I can't rotate my screen...

If I will look at a map of both South and North America, or of the old world with Europe + Africa, the high of my screen is an idiot limit :idea:

I rotate virtually my screen with the sequences

Code: Select all

xrandr -o left
process may map with difficulty (as the mouse don't react any more like usually :x )

and comes as soon as possible with

Code: Select all

xrandr -o normal
back into the usual screen mode where it is more easy to work.

Oh terror!

in LXQT, after that, no possibility any more to do somewhat :oops: : no tray/bar, no menu, nothing more... :evil:

really fun you find :mrgreen: ?

no, I did work 3 hours on those maps!!!

my luck was, that I did do something unusual installing LXQT: I did install it on JWM and I have yet an hidden minimalist JWM with 3 icons (JWM button, grun and seamonkey -edit, and only because seamonkey -edit, as nobody on this forum did answer my question how to start seamonkey, but only the function -edit ).

with grun, I did had a great tool to continue, with great difficulties, my work and save it before I did restart.

it seem to be a real infirmity of LXQT! But I don't know how is to inform about. I hope, as this forum is the main forum, that someone will communicate that great deception with the maintenance of LXQT and I would speak with him about the simultaneous use of JWM permitting such rescue operations!

kind regards
Lew_Rockwell_fan

Re: ohhhhhh! terrible effect of xrandr -o normal/left in lxqt

Post by Lew_Rockwell_fan »

Not pointless criticism but sincere well-intentioned advice:

You need to work harder at learning how to express yourself in English if you are going to be communicating about technical subjects. Your competency in the language is probably more than adequate for a social situation, but you'd be a disaster as an airplane pilot. ;-)

I got only a vague idea of what you are trying to communicate, but I will suggest this multipurpose measure:

In the future, when your system is working fine, back it up with fsarchiver from another system on the same machine. Then if you mess it up with something like xrandr it is easy to undo. Back up the system (not your data - that's a different subject - and I am a strong advocate of keeping data on a different filesystem on a different partition or even a different drive) every time you make major changes that worked. Not before so much, which is what intuition says but as soon as you see that whatever you did worked. Keep the last several archives. Restore as needed.
drooly

Re: ohhhhhh! terrible effect of xrandr -o normal/left in lxqt

Post by drooly »

it still might be a problem with jwm & lxqt.
can you reproduce the behavior with vanilla lxqt?

also your error description "cannot do anything" is lacking.