Menu panel vanishes

Please post all general support questions for LXDE here.
man_without_clue

Menu panel vanishes

Post by man_without_clue »

Hi all,

I have asked this in debian users mailing list but can not get any answer.

I have Debian Stretch with LXDE installed.

When I add the panel in addition to default desktop setting, the default menu panel disappears after next reboot.

Also I am unable to delete the newly added panel. Some icons on the newly added panel disappear too.

What is causing this and what is the solution for this?

This never happened to the Debian Jessie, Wheezy.

I appreciate if anybody could help.
man_without_clue

Re: Menu panel vanishes

This happens if I add additional panel on the desktop then reboot (re-login).
seppalta

Post by seppalta »

You can have only 1 panel in the same region. If you are talking about a specific piece of edge, then you need to remove any panel on it before adding a new one. For more information on panels, see http://lxlinux.com/fbpanel.html and http://www.lxlinux.com/indexold.html#4.
man_without_clue

seppalta wrote:You can have only 1 panel in the same region. If you are talking about a specific piece of edge, then you need to remove any panel on it before adding a new one. For more information on panels, see http://lxlinux.com/fbpanel.html and http://www.lxlinux.com/indexold.html#4.
No no, what I want to do is to add a side application launch bar on desktop.
The Debian LXDE default setting has a menu panel at the bottom. I always add an additional panel on the middle left side of the desktop.
It works on Squeeze, Wheezy and Jessie.
seppalta

Post by seppalta »

what I want to do is to add a side application launch bar on desktop
So do it. If there is no panel there, then just add one. The first link that I gave in my previous post tells how to add an fbpanel anywhere. The second link, which is old, should tell how to add extra lxpanels - think you just right click any installed lxpanel and follow the directions for adding a new panel.
man_without_clue

seppalta wrote:
what I want to do is to add a side application launch bar on desktop
So do it. If there is no panel there, then just add one. The first link that I gave in my previous post tells how to add an fbpanel anywhere. The second link, which is old, should tell how to add extra lxpanels - think you just right click any installed lxpanel and follow the directions for adding a new panel.
Yeah, I know and that's how I have been adding the panels on Debian Squeeze, Wheezy, Jessie and they were working great. I am still using Jessie on my older PC and running without a problem.

The problem is the one on Debian Stretch I just built couple weeks ago.
I did same thing to add the side panel with couple of app launching icons. After I reboot, the bottom menu panel which is default menu panel, goes missing.
That is why I am asking what is the cause and solution for this.
seppalta

Post by seppalta »

Check the length of your side panel. Maybe it is covering of the other panel, where the 2 panels meet, and thus covers the menu icon. You won't want to make both panels 100% long. Also, you can just add another menu icon, placing it where ever you desire in either panel.
man_without_clue

seppalta wrote:Check the length of your side panel. Maybe it is covering of the other panel, where the 2 panels meet, and thus covers the menu icon. You won't want to make both panels 100% long. Also, you can just add another menu icon, placing it where ever you desire in either panel.
The panel added afterwords is less than 2/3 of the desktop length and placed on the center so it did not interfere with the bottom panel.
man_without_clue

UPDATE

I copied /.config/lxpanel/LXDE/panels from working Jessie
machine to Stretch.

AND the result was success!

The one in Wheezy has panel and left files under "panels" but on
Stretch, there is only "panel" file.

For some reason LXDE fails to create these panel files correctly and
messes up. I don't know the mechanism of this process but something is
not working right.