Possible to Disable Desktop Auto Sorting of Newly-Created (Folder/File) Icons?

Please post all general support questions for LXDE here.
phd102

Possible to Disable Desktop Auto Sorting of Newly-Created (Folder/File) Icons?

Post by phd102 »

Hello All.

I'm running Debian 9.4 (Stretch) with LXDE.

Every time I create a new Folder or File on the Desktop (by right-clicking the Desktop and selecting 'Create New' from the popup menu), the newly-created requisite (Folder or File) icon is immediately aligned/moved on the Desktop, rather than it being placed precisely in the area where my mouse pointer right-clicked the Desktop.

I would like the newly-created icon to remain in the region of the Desktop that was originally right-clicked using my mouse pointer to open the popup menu.

Is it possible to disable this auto sorting/movement of icons on the Desktop?

Thank you.
drooly

Re: Possible to Disable Desktop Auto Sorting of Newly-Created (Folder/File) Icons?

Post by drooly »

phd102 wrote:Every time I create a new Folder or File on the Desktop (by right-clicking the Desktop and selecting 'Create New' from the popup menu), the newly-created requisite (Folder or File) icon is immediately aligned/moved on the Desktop, rather than it being placed precisely in the area where my mouse pointer right-clicked the Desktop.
i would not describe this as autosorting (which, imo, implies something alphanumerical).
in any case, this behavior cannot be changed.
seppalta

Re: Possible to Disable Desktop Auto Sorting of Newly-Created (Folder/File) Icons?

Post by seppalta »

Install and use Idesk (http://lxlinux.com/#2). Then you can place and hold desktop icons anywhere you like.
drooly

Post by drooly »

^ idesk does not support drag'n'drop if i remember correctly.

@op: lxde is lightweight; this means that not all features are available. it seems what you want is one of those features.
seppalta

Post by seppalta »

idesk does not support drag'n'drop if i remember correctly.
Icons in idesk can be dragged by holding down the mouse right clicker. Furthermore, each icon's desktop position can be fixed by stipulating a position coordinate in that icon's config file. See http://lxlinux.com/#2.
phd102

Post by phd102 »

drooly wrote:i would not describe this as autosorting (which, imo, implies something alphanumerical).
The 'Auto Sorting' referenced in the title of the post refers to the default system sorting of file types (directory versus non-directory) that occurs on the Desktop when new directories and non-directory file types are created.

Directory icons are placed/arranged on the Desktop (top>bottom, left>right) before non-directory file type icons.

This appears to be the default behaviour of the system, and is part of the default system behaviour that I wished to disable.

seppalta wrote:Install and use Idesk (http://lxlinux.com/#2). Then you can place and hold desktop icons anywhere you like.
Thanks seppalta. Will investigate your suggestion.