Invisible Text in Dialogue Boxes

Please post all general support questions for LXDE here.
Llewellen

Invisible Text in Dialogue Boxes

Post by Llewellen »

I am running Parabola OS on an ASUS X200CA.

As far as I can determine, this issue arises only on the website <www.cbc.ca> and not otherwise. For example, I am entering this text on the computer and setup that gives rise to the problem and I'm not encountering the issue here.

Issue: I can connect to the site and access all of its content with the menus provided. However, when I type text into a dialogue box on the site, such as to login or post a reader comment, the text is invisible. However, it is registering because after I type the text and hit Enter, the text is acted upon - i.e. I am logged in or my comment is posted, as the case may be.

Parabola -> LXDE -> Palemoon or Icecat browser, the issue is encountered
Parabola -> LXDE -> Midori browser, no issues
Parabola -> Budgie DE -> any brower, no issues

Do I have something set incorrectly in LXDE that I can't find? Suggestions and help appreciated.
It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours - Diogenes of Sinope
drooly

Re: Invisible Text in Dialogue Boxes

Post by drooly »

let me guess: you're using a dark desktop theme with light text?
Llewellen

Post by Llewellen »

@drooly: Good guess. Why are they included as available options in LXDE if they don't work?
It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours - Diogenes of Sinope
Llewellen

Post by Llewellen »

@drooly: To expand on that: (a) why is LXDE imposing a desktop preference on the interior dialogue boxes of websites in the first place; and (b) if it is going to do so, why does it impose only the white text and not the dark background from the imposed theme?
drooly

Post by drooly »

Llewellen wrote:@drooly: Good guess. Why are they included as available options in LXDE if they don't work?
Llewellen wrote:@drooly: To expand on that: (a) why is LXDE imposing a desktop preference on the interior dialogue boxes of websites in the first place; and (b) if it is going to do so, why does it impose only the white text and not the dark background from the imposed theme?
who says they don't work? it's your browser that doesn't work with dark themes.
search for "firefox dark theme fix", you'll get thousands of results and explanations and if you bother to read some you will soon see.

and the ultimate answer to the "why" is:
because there's no safety belt on gnu/linux.
if you prefer an operating system that pretends to know what is good for you and restricts your choices, it is not linux with lxde.
Llewellen

Post by Llewellen »

Leaving the tone of your reply aside for you to ponder, I note that Palemoon (a fork of Firefox) runs just fine with no issues at all with Budgie DE on a linux OS. Just so you know :) Have a nice day :)
drooly

Post by drooly »

Llewellen wrote:Leaving the tone of your reply aside for you to ponder, I note that Palemoon (a fork of Firefox) runs just fine with no issues at all with Budgie DE on a linux OS.
how do you know what tone i replied in?
you're just filling the emotional void of internet communications with something you found in your own subconscious.
But leaving that aside for you to ponder, I'm still right:
the theme isn't "not working", LXDE isn't "imposing" anything onto the browser.
it's the browser's choice to pick up desktop theming, or not, or only partly. a point you just proved by saying it works better with a different browser. of course it could also have something to do with the website, some show different content with different user agents, some are simply badly implemented (e.g. using the browser-provided background color but enforcing the foreground color, or the other way round. seen it often enough).

PS: your reply implies that you did NOT search "firefox dark theme fix". lots of interesting material.
Llewellen

Post by Llewellen »

Yawn. See ya.