How to disable Display Settings/lxrandr pop-up?

Please post all general support questions for LXDE here.
constantannoyant

How to disable Display Settings/lxrandr pop-up?

Post by constantannoyant »

Hi there,

Every single time I wake my laptop up, I have to dismiss a Display Settings/lxrandr pop-up. How can I prevent that from appearing?

I don't know if the program is telling me what resolution it is going to use, or asking me what resolution to use. In either case, the resolution and refresh rate are correct.
If it is telling me, how do I tell that I really don't care and not to bother me?
If it is asking me, how do I configure it permanently so that it does not have to pop up and bother me?

I have found the ~/.config/autostart/lxrandr-autostart.desktop file, but I think I want the config file of whatever is launching lxrandr (lxsession?).

Thank you.
drooly

Re: How to disable Display Settings/lxrandr pop-up?

Post by drooly »

what distro/version are you using?
I cannot reproduce that on either Lubuntu 19.04 (which is LXQT, not LXDE) or LXLE 16.04.

I can however confirm that the screen resolution utility is a little confusing: setting your desired resolution isn't enough, you need to "Save" also to have it across reboots.
constantannoyant wrote:I have found the ~/.config/autostart/lxrandr-autostart.desktop file, but I think I want the config file of whatever is launching lxrandr (lxsession?).
what happens when you launch that manually? do you get the offending dialog? maybe you should rename it (lxrandr-autostart.desktop.bak or some such) and see if it solves the problem.
constantannoyant

I'm using LXLE 16.04.4, and LXRandR 0.3.1.

The exact "Exec" line in lxrandr-autostart.desktop is

Code: Select all

sh -c 'xrandr --output LVDS1 --mode 1280x800 --rate 60.00'
If I run that from the terminal (with and without the sh -c and the quotes), nothing apparent happens. It does not prevent the pop-up/dialog from appearing the next time I close and open the laptop.
Still having the dialog open from the last time I opened the laptop does not prevent another instance of the dialog from appearing when I close and open the laptop again. (If I open and close the laptop N times without dismissing the dialog, there are N instances of the dialog active.)

Renaming the .desktop file has no effect. The file did not even exist until I hit "Save" button in the dialog, and the behaviour is identical with and without that file in place so renaming it just makes it not there.

If I change the "Exec" line in the file to "sh -c 'echo'", I still get the dialog box.
drooly

Post by drooly »

very strange, i also tried it on LXLE, however I onlyjust installed it into a vm and haven't upgraded yet.
i will do that, maybe i can reproduce the problem then.

the obvious question is, did you do something that might have caused this?

we need to find what executes that.
did you edit .config/openbox/autostart by any chance?
is there anything else in ~/.config/autostart?
and in /etc/xdg/autostart?
Is there something in Settings => Default Applications for LXsession => Autostart?
constantannoyant

I did nothing to cause this. It was like this from the very start, when I first open the laptop after the first boot after installing the OS. The previous installation of the same system did the same thing too.

I did not touch ~/.config/openbox/autostart, and I don't have one. The only file is ~/.config/openbox is lxde-rc.xml. The only reference to lxrandr in there is to make that the "command" for the XF86Display key.

% \ls -1 .config/autostart
lxrandr-autostart.desktop
parcellite-startup.desktop

% \ls -1 /etc/xdg/autostart
at-spi-dbus-bus.desktop
blueman.desktop
clipit-startup.desktop
gnome-keyring-pkcs11.desktop
gnome-keyring-secrets.desktop
gnome-keyring-ssh.desktop
gsettings-data-convert.desktop
indicator-application.desktop
lxpolkit.desktop
nm-applet.desktop
notification-daemon-autostart.desktop
parcellite-startup.desktop
polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1.desktop
print-applet.desktop
pulseaudio.desktop
snap-userd-autostart.desktop
user-dirs-update-gtk.desktop

Under Settings -> Default applications for LXSession -> Autostart, under "Manual started applications" are lxpanel, pcmanfm, locker, (a disabled start-up sound), opensnap, dualDisplay, notifylist, and compton-daemon.
There is a longer list of Known Applications, and "LXRandR autostart" was checked. I unchecked that, rebooted, and the Display Settings dialog still appears whenever I open the laptop. I guess that's no longer "known", but still runs.