Dragging windows is VERY slow

Please post all general support questions for LXDE here.
huuanh2811

Dragging windows is VERY slow

Post by huuanh2811 »

Hi all, I have a fresh install of lubuntu 14.04 on my old Acer laptop (Intel Celeron M 1.5GHz, Intel 915GM graphics, 2GB RAM). Not really tested yet but I found an GUI annoying behaviour. When I drag a window (not all windows but some of them like Firefox) it take some time for the window to reach the cursor position on the desktop, like it is 'restrained' to the desktop. Sometimes it take about a second ...
Rex Bouwense

Re: Dragging windows is VERY slow

Post by Rex Bouwense »

Welcome to the lxde forums. Since you didn't supply us with a great deal of information it is difficult to tell what is causing your lag, however Lubuntu 14.04 has reached its End Of Life several years ago (April 2017) and is no longer supported. That means you will not receive any application or security patches. Recommend that you install Lubuntu 18.04 which is the latest Long Term Support version and is supported until April of 2021.
Rex
Magnus Johansson

Post by Magnus Johansson »

huuanh2811 wrote:Hi all, I have a fresh install of lubuntu 14.04 on my old Acer laptop (Intel Celeron M 1.5GHz, Intel 915GM graphics, 2GB RAM). Not really tested yet but I found an GUI annoying behaviour. When I drag a window (not all windows but some of them like Firefox) it take some time for the window to reach the cursor position on the desktop, like it is 'restrained' to the desktop. Sometimes it take about a second ...
Hello! I have experienced the same on a computer with very similar hardware capacity. I run Debian 9 with LXDE. Moving windows is quite difficult with this delayed action. It is even worse with some programs, among them Dolphin.
SeanKernan

Post by SeanKernan »

What's your video hardware? A proprietary driver might be what you need to fix that performance problem.