My desktops keep rearranging

Please post all general support questions for LXDE here.
ab1jx

My desktops keep rearranging

Post by ab1jx »

The stuff on each pane of the desktop I mean. Only on one machine, my Rock64 running Debian Buster. Never saw it before but it's probably peculiar to LXDE. I'm not sure where this info is stored but something happens to it. When I go away for maybe 10 minutes I come back to find all my application windows in a pile. It's almost like they tried to fit into a much smaller window without any real reason to.

[img]window_pile.png[/img]

Here I'd been away for 20 minutes or so and came back to this. Are they rearranging to fit a 640x480 screen or something (I'm using 1920x1080)? The bottoms and sides aren't all the same. I can see by the pager that all the panes are this way, all the windows are in clumps near the upper left corners.
Attachments
window_pile.png
(103.27 KiB) Not downloaded yet
drooly

Re: My desktops keep rearranging

Post by drooly »

ab1jx wrote:When I go away for maybe 10 minutes I come back to find all my application windows in a pile. It's almost like they tried to fit into a much smaller window without any real reason to.
This sometimes happens to me after I played a fullscreen game in a lower resolution.
So the assumption would be that something similar happens on your desktop.
I don't think it's a peculiarity of LXDE, because something as severe as that would have seen thousands of bug reports already.
ab1jx

Post by ab1jx »

It's not that LXDE always does it, I've never seen it before. But I also don't have another desktop/window manager on here to compare LXDE to.

I don't change resolutions, it's always 1920x1080. It seems like somewhere there must be a table that holds the coordinates of each window and that gets lost when it goes into screensave mode, either the X one or the console one. But I've only seen it on this Rock64 too, I run LXDE on several other machines that are fine. I was mostly curious about what gets trashed.

Seems like there'd have to be an array of structs with that info. I don't think windows ever go away like the count changes, the locations are just wrong. The colors or other window properties don't change.
drooly

Post by drooly »

ab1jx wrote:I don't change resolutions, it's always 1920x1080. It seems like somewhere there must be a table that holds the coordinates of each window and that gets lost when it goes into screensave mode, either the X one or the console one.
Are you using a screen locker? Maybe that one is configured to run on a lower resolution?
And what's a console screensaver in this context?

Maybe a scereenshot of the phenomenon?
ab1jx

Post by ab1jx »

No screen locker, I get rid of those as soon as I can. A console screenblanker like you get rid of by putting noconsoleblank in your kernel config string. 20 years ago or so I had a goofy girlfriend and we were into xscreensaver. But you could never watch them very long, the screen would go blank. I think the console screensaver is at a lower level than the X one but it’s still there. The X one is more noticeable but the console one runs underneath when X has already blanked the screen.

So I don’t know which would be responsible here. It’s a new problem in the Buster version of Ayufan’s Debian image for the Rock64, it’ll probably be gone by the next one.

I'll get an image onto Imgur and link it. Image https://imgur.com/TCw2OOf and https://imgur.com/oDRLQo5
drooly

Post by drooly »

It looks exactly like you described it.
With the level of information we have I have to agree with you - it's probably something specific to the Rock64 SBC and the Debian image provided for it.