Can't change focus or drag windows

Please post all general support questions for LXDE here.

Can't change focus or drag windows

Post by Guest »

This is on the LXDE that comes with Raspbian. I can't drag windows around the desktop or shift the focus to a different window, as of a couple hours ago. When I hover my mouse over my pager I get a vertical resize cursor (doesn't do anything). I can switch panes of the desktop with ctrl-alt left and right arrows sometimes. Mouse wheel on the root window no longer works. It's almost like a shift/alt/ctrl key is stuck down.

I deleted my ~/config/lxde* files so it would return to defaults, no difference. I was building ffmpeg from source and just did a make install, wanted to switch windows for something, it wouldn't, I doubt it's ffmpeg. A couple days ago I installed grub-uboot from the debs because I wanted to read the man page (didn't find one). Suddenly fsck is acting strange,it complains about my /boot partition, so I uninstalled the grub thing, didn't help. If I make a /forcefsck file so it runs fsck on reboot that has some problem remounting my /boot partition afterward. So I repowered because it was panicked and it boots fine. Twice I've done that, ran fsck on the sd card on a different machine, nothing wrong. The sd is about a month old, a type I have had good luck with, I don't suspect it I don't entirely trust grub. Hard drive and window problems, I've seen stranger combinations. But what can cause windows to not drag? It's almost like they're locked in place.

Re: Can't change focus or drag windows

Post by Guest »

Not a reply. My username is ab1jx. Something timed out while I was typing, then the capcha complained about being invalid, the connection reset a couple times. When I use my username it tells me it's already in use (so what?) so I posted with no username. "verification expired" on the captcha. Again.
ab1jx

Post by ab1jx »

I think this time I'm logged in correctly, time will tell.

Aha, something's wrong with the calibration. If I click about 1/8 inch below the title bar on a window I can drag it. Still can't change focus to it though. Yes, there are probably defined keystrokes for that, I should look them up. Alt-tab sort of works, same as Windows. When my internet connection goes dead things lock up too, but that's been the case for weeks.

This is all new though, I've been using this computer for a couple years. I don't know where the info is stored, something like xcalib can probably fix it.
ab1jx

Post by ab1jx »

I was thinking of xinput-calibrator but that's only for touchscreens.
ab1jx

Post by ab1jx »

Blimy! If I log in as pi instead of root the problem goes away. So it's maybe something in /root/.config. I'm getting warm.
ab1jx

Post by ab1jx »

Got it. Booted to just a command line, I renamed /root/.config/openbox/lxde-pi-rc.xmlo to .off. Did a startx and it's mostly normal. Right-clicking on stuff in lxpanel doesn't work yet. I enabled a pager with obconf and set it to 6 desktops but I only see 1. I'm thinking I need to quit LXDE to cause that xml file to be written out. I still have the old one anyway. But I can drag and resize windows now, that was something in the xml. Click to focus works again.

Yup, I did "exit to command line", then startx. My xml file is recreated and my pager is normal. I have a bunch of stuff on this machine I didn't want to set up all over again. Easytether feeds hostapd, dnsmasq, something else, so I'm sharing an Android phone's internet connection over a USB cable and feeding it out wifi. Plus a bunch of stuff built from sources.

I tried a diff between the old and new xml, doesn't show much useful. But the old one is about 1/10 the size of the recreated one.
Last edited by ab1jx on Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drooly

Post by drooly »

Seems you figured it out anyhow.
FWIW: what you described in post #1 could've just been your system being under a lot of stress whilst compiling ffmpeg (btw, prebuilt downloads exist). But you did so much "stuff" to "fix" it, that by now I can't really help you.

Just one thing: you don't need to be root all the time, and shouldn't when using the GUI.
So learn to login as pi from now on.
ab1jx wrote:I'm thinking I need to quit LXDE to cause that xml file to be written out.
Does it do that?
IDK, I use openbox only and there it does not do that; if it doesn't exist in $HOME/.config/openbox, it just uses the fallback in /etc/xdg/openbox.
If it indeed does, you can just reduce its size to 0, then make it read-only:

Code: Select all

chmod -w /root/.config/openbox/lxde-pi-rc.xml
ab1jx

Post by ab1jx »

I wasn't actually compiling ffmpeg, it was done and installed. I did a make uninstall then later a make install to put my new one back. The one I just built is 4.2.2, the one in debs is 4.1.4, but I was having odd problems with it.

I blame my crash on grub-uboot. I don't actually need it on this Raspberry Pi anyway, I just wanted to study it because I wanted to install it on my Pinebook Pro. I have a new SSD sitting in a box because I'd like to have both Linux and OpenBSD on it. Nobody in the Pinebook forum seemed to have heard of it, which should have been a clue. There's no documentation to speak of, you have to read the source. Maybe it's old/abandoned, I was just Googling it.

Yes, from what I've seen of LXDE and Openbox the config files are just for user preferences. The defaults compiled in get used if those are missing. I had deleted my LXDE ones first but that didn't fix it.
drooly

Post by drooly »

Using 'make' implies compilation, so yes, you did compile. Or, most likely. The answer lies in the makefile of the ffmpeg package you downloaded.