Removing Panel

Please post all general support questions for LXDE here.
droidus

Removing Panel

Post by droidus »

Is there any way to remove a panel? The "Delete this Panel" is greyed out. I would prefer to temporarily remove it for now, in case I want to re-enable it later. I am currently using Cairo-Dock, so am wondering if there is a way to disable it for now? Right now, I just have it set to auto-hide.
drooly

Re: Removing Panel

Post by drooly »

A little unclear.
Do you want to remove lxpanel? Or cairo-dock?
If lxpanel, it might be that you can only remove a secondary panel, i.e. at least one panel has to remain.
If you do not wish to use lxpanel at all you can disable it in Autostart or Startup Applications (not quite sure what it's called but I'm sure you can find it in the menu). And replace it with cairo-dock at the same time.
droidus

Post by droidus »

lxpanel.
It seems at least one instance of it must be running.
I will see if maybe I can disable it at run-time.
drooly

Post by drooly »

Have you checked the LXDE session manager?
wwoofbum

Post by wwoofbum »

This appears to me to be a perfectly understandable question. Droidus used the "Wireless & Wired Network Settings" dropdown menu to "Create New Panel," which he now wants to delete. (I am incredibly curious to know what creating a "panel" has to do with network settings.) Droidus notes that, in the "Panel Settings" pane, the "Delete Panel" option is greyed out, meaning that the option to delete the panel he just created is not available. (And, WHY not, one might well ask.)

I found myself in this same position.

After some (absurdly frustrating) research, I found the location in the LXPanel wiki ( wiki.lxde.org/en/LXPanel ) where it states:

"Files defining the layout of panels are in ~/.config/lxpanel/<Profile>/panels. Each file in the directory defines a panel. On startup, all panels defined in those files are loaded."

(Of course, this may not apply to every kind of linux...I had to scout around my Raspberry Pi file system to find the location.) I had only created one panel, there was only one file in the directory, I deleted it, rebooted, and...bob's your uncle.