how to change default applications in Lubuntu.

Please post all general support questions for LXDE here.
jrjong

how to change default applications in Lubuntu.

Post by jrjong »

In Lubuntu I can change the default applications using "Default applications for LXSession" application. It saves the default application list in the configuration file "/home/USER/.config/lxsession/Lubuntu/desktop.conf". Now, I'd like to aol login change default applications by editing this "desktop.conf" file. So, I change/save the "desktop.conf" file or overwrite it with the one from another machine. But when I re-open "Default applications for LXSession". it does not show the changes made in the "desktop.conf" file and therefore the default applications are not set. How can I change the default applications using the configuration file? Do I need to run any update/reset command after editing the file?
thanks in advance
Last edited by jrjong on Sun Aug 16, 2020 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AlanWalker

Re: how to change default applications in Lubuntu.

Post by AlanWalker »

So, I change/save the "desktop.conf" file or overwrite it with the one from another machine. But when I re-open "Default applications for LXSession". it does not show the changes made in the "desktop.conf" file
I'm pretty much of a beginner in modifying LXDE outside its control (even though I've been using it for years) but I assume you were in LXDE when you modified desktop.conf. It seems to me that LXDE immediately modifys its parm files when they're altered inside its control. How are you altering desktop.conf?
drooly

Re: how to change default applications in Lubuntu.

Post by drooly »

I'm unsure if this can succeed while the session manager is running; try to
1. log out of LXDE
2. log into a command line only session
3. do your edits
4. log out of the CLI session
5. then log back into LXDE
It's ages since I used a display manager, but step 2 might require to chaneg to a different tty with e.g. Ctrl-Alt-F2, and step 5. might require to switch back to the tty with the graphical session, usually Ctrl-Alt-F7, or maybe Ctrl-Alt-F1.