font corruption and desktop trashed.

Please post all general support questions for LXDE here.
edward

Re: font corruption and desktop trashed.

Post by edward »

Glad to be of help.
Debian Sid - LXDE
luxy

Post by luxy »

OK, this mess has not gone away. There seems to be some memory issues in everything related to LXDE.

Window decorations ( title bar text ) gets distroyed.
LXterminal gets hit: exiting window content and any new output gets trashed.
LibreOffice spreadsheet content often gets trashed.

on the other hand xterm does not get affected. Firefox window content does not get affected ( just title bar ).

Heavy usage programs like LibreOffice calc with a large spreadsheet or Chromium browser seem to be a trigger for whatever is happening.

I suspect the short answer to this is to change to a different desktop manager, which is rather a shame. I really like the lightweight phylosophy of LXDE.

After I tried Edward's suggestion above, I was able to use recent kernels. Not sure what that tells us but I'll note it anyway.
luxy

Post by luxy »

This does not get better.

I tried QtDesktop and it has the same issues. Now if I open LibreOffice writer and open a one page document I get video and font trashing. I can no longer print anything because the print dialogue is illegible.

I ran memtest86+ overnight to check it was not a faultly section of RAM but it got a clean report.

My original impression that this is kernel related seems true. I'm now inclined to think that it is nouveau kernel module which dumping on video memory.
luxy

Post by luxy »

Insofar as I have been able to tell this is a kernel issue as I originally suspected. More specifically it appears to be the buggy nouveau driver. It seems that with anything more recent than 5.3.* kernels I have no valid options for video drivers. I'm currently booting to 5.3.12-300.fc31.x86_64 which seems relatively stable but this is well behind current releases and will be problem since I need to move to Fedora 32 shortly.

The proprietory drivers are no longer supported for these chipsets and nouveau drives seem to be similarly untested and unsupported in this context.

It is a shame that I am not needing to replace hardware because it is technically insufficient but because incompatible changes in the kernel have broken what was perfectly suitable hardware.

This is a motherboard video chipset on this desktop machine which is perfect for my needs. Sadly it seems I now need to find a PCI-E video card which is suitably low-end not to have the need for a noisy cooling fan. The most demanding video needs I have is low res U-tube vids. Any video card capable of that could be passively cooled as is the current chipset. So where should I be looking?

I've been a fan of Nvidia on Linux for the last couple of decades but I now need to review that situation.

Does anyone have any recommendations about what manufacturer is best supported in these low-end GPUs now?

thanks.