Reset LXDE system to "factory version"

Please post all general support questions for LXDE here.
hbdevelop1

Reset LXDE system to "factory version"

Post by hbdevelop1 »

Hi all,

Is there a way to reset the LXDE OS to discard any user setting and changes,
instead of reinstalling it ?

Thank you
Rex Bouwense

Re: Reset LXDE system to "factory version"

Post by Rex Bouwense »

First of all lxde is not an operating system. It is a desktop environment used on an operating system. Which operating system are you using (Debian, Gentoo, Fedora, etc). There is a command that works on some systems (based on GTK or Gnome). I have never used it. It is: dconf reset -f /
I know of no one who has used it on an lxde version but apparently it has worked on Ubuntu Unity, Ubuntu Gnome, Ubuntu Mate, Arch Linux Mate. There is also an application called Resetter that does the same. Again I do not believe it has been tested on an lxde distribution either.
Alternatively, you can boot into a live version of your distribution and attempt to copy the original to your affected computer. That would seem to be a very long and involved process.
In any case, before you attempted anything, a backup would be in your best interest and if you do that a re-install may be the easiest and fastest solution.
Rex
drooly

Post by drooly »

Unfortunately there isn't one command that will do this; user settings & data are scattered over databases (dconf) but also regular files. The latter reside under the ~/.config and ~/.local/share directories, sometimes also right in the home directory as hidden files/folders.
The best way to "reset" a user is to move everything inside the home folder out of the way, and the best way to do that is while you are not graphically logged in as that user.
This would also reset that user's dconf database.
Two ways to achieve it:
  • Log out, then log in command line only, no GUI, do the operation via CLI:

Code: Select all

cd /home
    ls -l # make note of the user + group your home folder has, let's assume it's hbdevelop1 + hbdevelop1
    sudo mv hbdevelop1 hbdevelop1.old
    sudo mkdir hbdevelop1
    sudo chown hbdevelop1:hbdevelop1 hbdevelop1
    exit
  • Boot into a live environment, mount the internal hard drive, and perform the same operation with the rgaphical tool of your choice
After that, log in again, your home folder will be re-populated with default settings.
If you are 100% sure you aren't missing any important data, you can remove the *.old folder.

PS: '~' denotes the home folder, e.g. /home/hbdevelop1/
csc2048b

Post by csc2048b »

drooly wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:19 am The best way to "reset" a user is to move everything inside the home folder out of the way, and the best way to do that is while you are not graphically logged in as that user.
After that, log in again, your home folder will be re-populated with default settings.
worked like a charm - thanks!
easily restored settings for most used apps like firefox, openmw, gimp, audacious, inkscape, etc.
the only program settings i was unable to import to the new 'profile' was transmission where i had a 1.6 ratio.

for those curious, "Default applications for LX session" crashed and 'broke' my first 'profile'.