Raspberry Pi with LXDE - Controlling from Laptop

Please post all general support questions for LXDE here.
RobertMFrew

Raspberry Pi with LXDE - Controlling from Laptop

Post by RobertMFrew »

I have a Raspberry Pi installed with LXDE that I use to work from home. I wanted to reduce how much desk space it used, as I needed to have a separate monitor, mouse and keyboard for it. I looked into controlling a Raspberry Pi remotely with my laptop, using SSH and the local WiFi network, but I soon realised that the LXDE is completely different from Rasbian. I have no knowledge about coding a Raspberry Pi or have ever used LXDE before, so I need beginner-level help.
I was wondering if it were possible to either control the Raspberry Pi from my laptop somehow, or just boot from the SD card on my laptop using a VM or something. The latter would be my preferred option, but anyway I could use my laptop's monitor and keyboard for it would be amazing.
Thank you :)
drooly

Re: Raspberry Pi with LXDE - Controlling from Laptop

Post by drooly »

What is the use case for the raspi, if you also have a laptop?
As a headless server, yes, I'd recommend to put it under the table or in a cupboard somewhere and connect via ssh, from your other computer (laptop). But then you wouldn't need a graphical desktop at all.
As a machine that you need to interact with constantly and graphically, it should probably have its own keyboard and monitor.
Although it is possible to connect remotely to a graphical session, this will never be as comfortable as having the peripherals connected directly, and would seem of little use if the machine is in the same room anyhow. Or do you not have a spare monitor/keyboard/mouse, and need to use the laptop? Then we're back to the question: what does this raspi do.
Also, what distro runs on the laptop.