search box in main menu?

Please post all general support questions for LXDE here.
Itai-Nelken

search box in main menu?

Post by Itai-Nelken »

is it possible to add a searchbox to the main menu (similar to win10)?

edit: I'm using RPiOS https://www.raspberrypi.org/software/
Last edited by Itai-Nelken on Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drooly

Re: search box in main menu?

Post by drooly »

Itai-Nelken wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:47 am is it possible to add a searchbox to the main menu (similar to win10)?
No. LXDE is a very lightweight environment, which means that its components are spartan and not extensible as such.

You can, however, use a different menu altogether and put it on your panel as an application launcher icon.
It should work just as well.

You could use XFCE4's whisker menu (you don't tell us which distro you use, so I can't tell you how to install it, but it should be in your repositories).
Another, more lightweight option (that requires fiddling with config files) is the glorious jgmenu.

Both menus have search-as-you-type functionality.
Itai-Nelken

Re: search box in main menu?

Post by Itai-Nelken »

drooly wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:11 pm
Itai-Nelken wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:47 am is it possible to add a searchbox to the main menu (similar to win10)?
No. LXDE is a very lightweight environment, which means that its components are spartan and not extensible as such.

You can, however, use a different menu altogether and put it on your panel as an application launcher icon.
It should work just as well.

You could use XFCE4's whisker menu (you don't tell us which distro you use, so I can't tell you how to install it, but it should be in your repositories).
Another, more lightweight option (that requires fiddling with config files) is the glorious jgmenu.

Both menus have search-as-you-type functionality.
I'm using RPiOS (https://www.raspberrypi.org/software/), thanks for the suggestions.