Super+0..9 numbers/digits to switch among windows

Please post all general support questions for LXDE here.
dandv

Super+0..9 numbers/digits to switch among windows

Post by dandv »

For productivity reasons, I'm looking for a desktop environment/window manager that supports Super+0..9 for switching among the active applications.

Does LXDE support that, and if not, any plans to implement this time-saving feature?
drooly

Re: Super+0..9 numbers/digits to switch among windows

Post by drooly »

dandv wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:34 pm For productivity reasons, I'm looking for a desktop environment/window manager that supports Super+0..9 for switching among the active applications.

Does LXDE support that, and if not, any plans to implement this time-saving feature?
Probably no such plans.

What's wrong with Alt-Tab?

Nevermind.

The article you linked has all the answers; however, Openbox (LXDE's window manager) has full customisable hotkey support, and it would be fairly easy to bind those keys to a shell script that utilizes e.g. wmctrl.
It also has a "client-list-combined" menu that contains all open apps on all desktops.
dandv

Post by dandv »

drooly wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:18 pm Openbox (LXDE's window manager) has full customisable hotkey support, and it would be fairly easy to bind those keys to a shell script that utilizes e.g. wmctrl.
It also has a "client-list-combined" menu that contains all open apps on all desktops.
I have no experience with DE development, so what you say may well be the case. But in my experience with Mint/Cinnamon, I requested this feature back in 2016, and every single plugin that tried to implement it, ran into various gotchas. They eventually gave up, and the feature was implemented in core.
drooly

Post by drooly »

dandv wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:24 am I have no experience with DE development
You don't need that to configure Openbox to your needs.
Also make sure you try the client-list-combined-menu. It's not exactly what you ask, but similar.
And always remember, openbox is fully keyboard-only usable.
dandv wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:24 am I requested this feature back in 2016, and every single plugin that tried to implement it, ran into various gotchas. They eventually gave up, and the feature was implemented in core.
Be that as it may, that thread also lists various DE-independent solutions you can try.

I do wonder, what happens if you have more than 10 windows open...

Make sure to share partial solutions and various approaches with us!