surpressing "This text file seems to be an executable script"

Please post all general support questions for LXDE here.
jyoung

surpressing "This text file seems to be an executable script"

Post by jyoung »

Hi,

I've recently added a custom application to an Application Lauch Bar on my panel. It works, but everytime I execute the application I have to through a dialog that says "This text file seems to be an executable script" "What do you want to do with it". Is there any way to surpress this dialog, and just execute the script?

There are several forum posts about this already on the web, for example

The two main solutions are to ensure that the script stars with the correct #! command. I've tried #!/bin/bash and #!/usr/bin/env bash. The other main solution is to change the file permissions to rw instead of rwx (which I admit seems counter intuitive). Neither of these worked for me. I also tried editing the corresponding .desktop file to directly call the bash binary:

/bin/bash myscript.bash

That really should have worked, since in this case /bin/bash is a binary and the script is just a command line argument.

In all cases when I clicked "execute" in the dialog the script ran without issue, I'm just trying to omit the dialog step. I'd be grateful for any advice!
jyoung

Re: surpressing "This text file seems to be an executable script"

Post by jyoung »

Any thoughts?
drooly

Re: surpressing "This text file seems to be an executable script"

Post by drooly »

Unfortunately my lxpanel freezes when I try to add launcher items via gui.
Can you post the relevant files from ~/.config/lxpanel so I can copy them over and do some testing?