update lxde components

Please post all general support questions for LXDE here.
geraldraaf

update lxde components

Post by geraldraaf »

i've update all LXDE components (gentoo), where possible i use gtk+3, mostly everything works as expected only taskbar (on bottom screen) when mouse pointer is over clock it show's clock information not above the icon but on top of screen.

Have anybody a hint how i can solve this behaviour.

kind regards.
drooly

Re: update lxde components

Post by drooly »

Please explain "on top of screen", I don't understand what is wrong there.
toofastforyahuh

Re: update lxde components

Post by toofastforyahuh »

I signed up for the forum primarily to reply to this topic.
Gentoo, as of September 2021, has:
* lxde-base/lxde-common
Latest version available: 0.99.2-r1
* lxde-base/lxde-icon-theme
Latest version available: 0.5.1-r1
* lxde-base/lxde-meta
Latest version available: 0.5.5-r7
* lxde-base/lxpanel
Latest version available: 0.10.1
* x11-misc/pcmanfm
Latest version available: 1.3.2-r1

With these the act of hovering over anything in the task bar (on the bottom of the screen) results in the "tooltips" appearing on top of the screen instead of near the mouse cursor.
For example, hovering over the clock, or hovering over any task bar item.
Hovering over the pcmanfm icon yields the text tooltip "File Manager PCManFM" but instead of appearing near the mouse, it appears at the top of the screen.
This of course is with the task bar being located at the bottom of the screen.
If you change it to the top of the screen, the misbehavior cannot be seen. So it is obvious if you don't see the problem, you must not have the task bar on the bottom of your screen.
This misbehavior only started happening as of about late 2020 or early 2021.

A second 2021 misbehavior is the "Task Bar (Window List)" no longer respects its maximum width if there are many windows open. It will push anything after that (such as a "logout" icon or "clock" to the right of the task bar) off-screen if there are many firefox windows open, instead of shrinking the firefox task bar icon widths to fit the panel.
The only workaround is to enable "Combine multiple application windows into a single button" which is somewhat annoying.
In other words, to reproduce this problem, disable "Combine multiple application windows into a single button" and simply open a bunch of lxterminals or firefox windows until it crowds out anything to the right of the task bar.