NetSpeed plugin - applet for lxpanel

Please post all general support questions for LXDE here.
Zen997

NetSpeed plugin - applet for lxpanel

Post by Zen997 »

NetSpeed.png
NetSpeed.png (15.5 KiB) Viewed 3723 times
My preferred Desktop Environment is LXDE. I'd like to monitor the real time download speed and display it inside lxpanel. I like the NetSpeed (GNOME Shell Extension or mate-netspeed-applet). I don't want to use GNOME or MATE Desktop Environments because LXDE does everything I need and looks great. I've tried "cbm" and other similar programs. Unfortunately, they only work in terminal emulator, which is a huge inconvenience. It doesn't have to be the NetSpeed. Any other program is acceptable as long as it can display the real time download speed as a number in MB/s inside lxpanel. It should be a plugin or an applet for lxpanel, so when I go to: Panel Preferences > Panel Applets > Add plugin to panel, I should be able to add it to lxpanel. The screenshot shows the "mate-netspeed-applet" on "mate-panel". Any advice or suggestion is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
drooly

Re: NetSpeed plugin - applet for lxpanel

Post by drooly »

Your options for lxpanel specifically are limited to the plugins that are available for it - or you can write your own.
I forget where, but I think there was a dummy plugin somewhere you can use as a starting point.

FWIW, I display my network speeds on my root window with conky.

Or you could use xfce-panel instead of lxpanel, it has loads of extra plugins.
Zen997

Post by Zen997 »

Thank you for reply. My preferred option would be to write plugin that works with lxpanel, however I have no programming skills. Any suggestions or help? Thanks.
drooly

Post by drooly »

You could search if a command output plugin exists, i.e. it runs some shell command and displays its output.
That would be simpler than writing one specifically for net speed.