how to edit the main menu

Please post all general support questions for LXDE here.
bricedebrignaisplage

how to edit the main menu

Post by bricedebrignaisplage »

Hi

I installed LXDE as another desktop in Ubuntu Jaunty. I alread had KDE3.5 and KDE4. I want to use amarok, the KDE3 version instead of the KDE4 version. The KDE3 version is installed in /opt/kde3/bin. In the LXDE menu, it shows an icon for amarok KDE4. How can I edit the menu?

Also: in "Application Launch Bar", the "Web Browser" shortcut is launching Konqueror. I want Firefox. So I added firefox using the "Application Launch Bar settings" tool, but it cannot find the icon... The .desktop file only say "Icon=firefox-3.0", I guess it's a path issue. How to?

Thanks
Brice
archibald haddock

Re: how to edit the main menu

Post by archibald haddock »

LXDE launches your default browser. You need to change it to firefox.
Afair this is doable with xdg-mime.
Marty Jack

Post by Marty Jack »

He is asking about the icon being missing ...

There are some licensing issues concerning usage of the Mozilla icons. This is best taken up with the Ubuntu people, since we did not supply Firefox.

The icon should be placed in /usr/share/pixmaps or somewhere under /usr/share/icons/hicolor and the /usr/share/applications/whatever.desktop should reference it. These are standard locations defined by freedesktop.org. You could look there to see if it is as simple as a naming mismatch.

As to editing the menu, you manually place a .desktop file in /usr/share/applications.
bricedebrignaisplage

Post by bricedebrignaisplage »

$ cat /usr/share/applications/firefox.desktop | grep Icon
Icon=firefox-3.0

$ ls /usr/share/pixmaps/firefox-3.*
/usr/share/pixmaps/firefox-3.0.png
Marty Jack

Post by Marty Jack »

I have recreated your situation here and it works. However, this is not the first time someone has complained of a missing Firefox icon on Ubuntu. That one was resolved by "mysteriously started working".

You could check your icon by "file /usr/share/pixmaps/firefox-3.0.png" and by looking at it with an image viewer to see if it is valid. Another thing you can do is rm ~/.cache/menus/* and log out and in to make sure your LXDE panel menu cache is good. Actually, it could be that the version of lxpanel in your version of Ubuntu is very old and predates the introduction of the menu cache.

If none of that helps, maybe someone else has the solution.
archibald haddock

Post by archibald haddock »

Marty Jack wrote:He is asking about the icon being missing ...
I thought, he complained that a click on Web Browser is starting konquerer and not firefox and to change that, you could change your default browser... :)

What icon set are you using? Maybe that icon set is providing a broken firefox icon?