LXDE success story

Please post all general support questions for LXDE here.
ffahog

LXDE success story

Post by ffahog »

I have a Toshiba laptop that was made c.2000, one of the Portege series. It's great because it is about the size / weight of a netbook, although the obvious downside is its limited computing power.

For a few reasons I'm not able to install many distros on it, but for whatever reason the *buntu alternate install CDs work. However, every official release of *buntu is too heavy and has dragged on this computer. The best I could do was a Xubuntu install, but the problems with Xfce were many and frustrating.

Then I discovered LXDE, which can be installed through Synaptic. I did it days ago and since have had an amazing computing experience! It was a complete success and I feel like I resurrected my machine. It's responsive, sleek, and exactly what I was hoping for when I bought it off of a friend for $20. :)

So thank you to all of the developers who have created a -true- lightweight DE that works so well off of an *buntu base. I am eagerly anticipating the release of Lubuntu!

(I apologize if this is the wrong place to put this thread, but I couldn't find a more appropriate place for it!)
DixieDancer

Re: LXDE success story

Post by DixieDancer »

My story is very much like yours! Even my newer computer (celeron 2.8 G with 512 RAM) runs much better, much faster, and much cooler (temperature) using LXDE than Gnome, KDE (which is horrendously heavy and slow on it) and even Xfce. I can run ordinarily "heavy" operating systems effortlessly and speedily just by using LXDE instead of the default desktop environment. The only thing faster is no desktop environment at all.

Looking forward to Lubuntu as well,
Robin
archibald haddock

Re: LXDE success story

Post by archibald haddock »

ffahog wrote:I have a Toshiba laptop that was made c.2000, one of the Portege series. It's great because it is about the size / weight of a netbook, although the obvious downside is its limited computing power.
For a few reasons I'm not able to install many distros on it, but for whatever reason the *buntu alternate install CDs work. However, every official release of *buntu is too heavy and has dragged on this computer. The best I could do was a Xubuntu install, but the problems with Xfce were many and frustrating.
Gentoo works too, installed it on a Toshiba Portege 3040CT.