screen res + keyboard layout

Please post all general support questions for LXDE here.
taiyed

screen res + keyboard layout

Post by taiyed »

Hi I'm using LXDE on debian squeeze, I'm loving it so far, except for the part where I have to set my screen resolution to 1280*1024 and my keyboard layout to "es" every damn time I reboot my PC.

For some reason it always reset to default. Even tho I change the resolution in Monitor Setting it doesn't seem to remember it, same thing with keyboard layout.

Hope you can help because this is a simple bug (i think) that's keeping me from loving this awesome DE
Marty Jack

Re: screen res + keyboard layout

Post by Marty Jack »

Another way of looking at this is, we don't do anything behind your back that isn't explicitly asked for in one of the configuration files.

If you can determine what command you need to execute to get things initialized the way you want, you can add them at the top of

/etc/xdg/lxsession/LXDE/autostart

(Leave out the "@" because that tells lxsession to restart the command if it exits.)

In the case of screen resolution or keyboard layout, I would look into why it is that X isn't setting it correctly to begin with. /var/log/Xorg.0.log should contain some clues. If you add an XkbLayout option to your xorg.conf, you should be able to get your keyboard layout set at boot time, assuming you need to use only one.

There are some discussions of screen resolution elsewhere in the forum.
archibald haddock

Re: screen res + keyboard layout

Post by archibald haddock »

Hmm, xorg.conf is replaced/going to be replaced by HAL in some distros.
I would start using HAL.
http://packages.debian.org/de/squeeze/hal-doc