screen resolution problem

All questions and problems regarding the installation and upgrades of LXDE from USB Stick, Live CD or Web.
glogo

screen resolution problem

Post by glogo »

Hello,

thank you for this excellent DE.

loaded in Debian Lenny, on very old architecture but running smoothly.

only one thing bothers me. every time we log in , the screen res goes back to what it should not be. is there any way to "hard code" this res that we want, like in the xorg.conf file, which is now almost empty?

cannot seem to get it to work and tired of changing the res on every login with lxrandr.

thanks for any help.

G
maces

Re: screen resolution problem

Post by maces »

Welcome in the Forum

I would add the following line to my "/home/maces/.config/lxsession/LXDE/autostart" file:

Code: Select all

@xrandr --output VGA --mode 1024x768
This should set the screen to the size you want. For more detailed configuration see the manpage of xrandr and this wikipage.

maces
Marty Jack

Post by Marty Jack »

I would leave out the "@" when you add that line. Otherwise xrandr will be relaunched in a loop, since "@" requests lxsession to restart the process every time it exits.
maces

Post by maces »

Marty Jack wrote:I would leave out the "@" when you add that line. Otherwise xrandr will be relaunched in a loop, since "@" requests lxsession to restart the process every time it exits.
Oops, yes you're right. Without the '@'.

maces
glogo

Post by glogo »

Hello and thanks for your suggestions,

first off, I cannot find any lxsession directory under my .config dir in my home dir. there is lxpanel and lxterminal, but neither of them have any such file as mentioned in them. each user account should have one, right? otherwise, I set the system up under another account. maybe I should look there, too.

so, what if I do something like this:

xrandr --delmode <output> <name>
where I am assuming the name is 1152x768 which is what the server defaults to. the next mode is the one I would like to use, you guessed it correctly, 1024x768. but I am not sure what output is. would it be something like "stdout"? Tried that, too. Frankly, I am not very good at reading the man pages. I find I need examples of code, not just these dry syntaxes. I guess that is what a wiki is for. But I cannot make heads or tails of that entry either.

anyway, why I don't have a lxsession folder I would also like to know. It would have been so nice, just to have a clean getaway fix for this niggling, irritating problem.

TIA
glogo
Marty Jack

Post by Marty Jack »

The system wide autostart file is /etc/xdg/lxsession/LXDE/autostart
glogo

Post by glogo »

Hello, thanks for your help.

here is the updated file.
cat /etc/xdg/lxsession/LXDE/autostart

@lxde-settings
@xscreensaver -no-splash
@lxpanel --profile LXDE
@pcmanfm -d
xrandr --output VGA --mode 1024x768
but it still does not work. logout and login restarts the xserver, right? so, I know it's silly, but I rebooted then also. to no effect.

when I tried this command on the command line, it gives an error that output VGA cannot be found. But I assume any standard monitor will be termed as VGA. How do I find out what is the name of my output? or what other things can we try to fix it?

Seems so difficult, should be straightforward, I would have thought.

thanks again
glogo

PS: don't know what happened. ran that code in the command line again, this time no error, so VGA must be correct, but still it is doing nothing at all. Is there not somewhere a file that lists all these modes, and can I not just go there and delete everything I don't want? :?:
glogo

Re: screen resolution problem -- SOLVED

Post by glogo »

It's fixed. the correct code

xrandr -s 1024x768
this line is appended in the file /etc/xdg/lxsession/LXDE/autostart

that is all that was needed, but what a process to get there.

the answer was found in a recent post here about setting the default resolution. a little hard to find, as the words "screen", "resolution" etc. are deemed too common to be worthy of a search. but finally found it. thanks for all your support. I know even if you don't respond, you are all rooting for a new user of LXDE and 'nix!
warmly
glogo
Marty Jack

Post by Marty Jack »

Good you got it working.

As I mentioned in that other thread it is worth looking into why you don't start in the correct resolution to begin with. This answer is found in the X startup log /var/log/Xorg.0.log and it may be an xorg issue or a monitor isn't detected correctly issue.
glogo

Post by glogo »

Yes, thanks, happily it finally worked.

as an interesting side note. xorg.conf manipulation does nothing. I edited that file to include only the resolutions I wanted to see in the list. nothing doing.

and strangely, when I also re-edited the other file (/etc/xdg/lxsession/LXDE/autostart) and took out the command "xrandr -s 1024x768", see there, that old, weird 1152x768 res, that kept getting thrown in there, never came back. (It had bothered me. because square and round were never square and round with that res, when working with GIMP, etc, otherwise, I would not have cared much.)

It's as if some file somewhere got changed from that command, and even though I took it out, it still always boots to the standard, desired 1024x768. So, WHERE is that file? Or how does this system work? Seems like you could just edit that file... but forget about editing xorg.conf. :roll: no effect.

Anyway, it works, all is well with the world, now If could just get some of these apps working... but that is a topic for others forums.

thanks again
glogo