Which distros work best with LXDE?

Please post all general support questions for LXDE here.
Chriswaterguy

Which distros work best with LXDE?

Post by Chriswaterguy »

Which distros do people use which work well with LXDE? I'm thinking of switching to Debian (starting with the minimal install iso), for speed, stability and hopefully more features that work (like audio, flash video and Skype).

I'm on a ThinkPad R60, currently using Mandriva 2009.0 (GNOME plus LXDE).

I posted a longer version of my questions about distros at: Is Debian right for me? For speed, stability and using Skype on LinuxQuestions.

Thanks!
flowheat

Re: Which distros work best with LXDE?

Post by flowheat »

I use LXDE with Arch Linux. Considering a basic Arch install gives you just a bare bones system putting LXDE over top of it just makes sense. A lot of Archers actually just use Openbox and don't even both with a DE. Anyway give it a look if you're interested in a truly minimalistic OS. http://www.archlinux.org/

PS - Be sure to check out the wiki it's full of great information.
Chriswaterguy

Post by Chriswaterguy »

flowheat wrote:I use LXDE with Arch Linux. Considering a basic Arch install gives you just a bare bones system putting LXDE over top of it just makes sense. A lot of Archers actually just use Openbox and don't even both with a DE. Anyway give it a look if you're interested in a truly minimalistic OS. http://www.archlinux.org/
Thanks - actually I use just Openbox sometimes myself. My concern with Arch is that I would have a lot to learn, and I'd rather do that when I have geek friends around and can join a LUG - I'm a bit remote at the moment, in Guatemala.

I'm also very interested in ICT4D, so most of all I'd like to learn systems that are a bit easier, that I could recommend to people in development contexts. But I admit, I do like the Arch Linux philosophy.
lostson

Post by lostson »

I use debian with lxde and it works just fine for me. I would use the lenny branch though right now. Thats what I use, Lenny is frozen so the only updates are mostly just things getting fixed before release. I would like to put together a repo though for debian that will keep my lxde more up2date so to speak also with a testing branch for the beta's that if people wish to test they can, but now i am rambling off topic sorry :(
archibald haddock

Post by archibald haddock »

Gentoo and just emerge lxde-meta, after you installed XServer + GDM and it runs well.
maces

Post by maces »

Hi
flowheat wrote:I use LXDE with Arch Linux. Considering a basic Arch install gives you just a bare bones system putting LXDE over top of it just makes sense. A lot of Archers actually just use Openbox and don't even both with a DE. Anyway give it a look if you're interested in a truly minimalistic OS. http://www.archlinux.org/

PS - Be sure to check out the wiki it's full of great information.
Dito

For me Archlinux+LXDE works perfect on a 32bit laptop and a 64bit desktop.

maces
tawie

Post by tawie »

VectorLinux6.0 RC4 with LXDE desktop works very well on my laptop, and now I stop using gnome and xfce now.
jar23d

Post by jar23d »

I have used LXDE in debian, ubuntu, and arch and have never experienced any issues. However i prefer using a minimal ubuntu/xubuntu core with LXDE there is just way too much information out there regarding ubuntu support and application and is pretty easy.
DixieDancer

Post by DixieDancer »

LXDE works in Crunchbang, which is a distro based on Ubuntu (the best-ever true "Ubuntu Lite" to date), but it's buggy. I must force shutdown using the terminal command, sound defaults to mute, a few little bugs like that. I wish Crunchbang would play nicely with LXDE, but perhaps later releases of it will.

-Robin
Last edited by DixieDancer on Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
saptech

Post by saptech »

I did a Debian netinstall to get the bare minimum and added LXDE to it, on my Acer Aspire One netbook. I must say I now have a lean mean computing machine... :D