Which distros work best with LXDE?

Please post all general support questions for LXDE here.
anodyne

Re: Which distros work best with LXDE?

Post by anodyne »

I played around with a few distros with lxde and finally settled on xubuntu... I am using this on a netbook and I found it to be one of the faster solutions... and as a linux noob all the underlying ubuntu compatibility/support was a plus =)
DixieDancer

Post by DixieDancer »

They are actually working on an LXDE edition of Ubuntu ("Lubuntu") but I have no idea how long it may take. Some of the same team members are also working on an LXDE-based community edition for Linux Mint as well.

-Robin
JWJones

Post by JWJones »

I use Debian Lenny, either LXDE or a Gnome/Openbox combo, depending on my mood. This is on an IBM Thinkpad T42, with 512MB of RAM, and an 80GB hard drive. Works great. I'll be maxing out my RAM to 2GB soon, and getting a bigger hard drive.
madmarv

Post by madmarv »

I have LXDE on two machines, an old laptop with Debian Lenny and my desktop running Zenwalk. LXDE is available in the Zenwalk repos, but not as a metapackage. All the base components are there though.

A side note, I don't use pcmanfm to control the desktop or wallpapers, I'm used to openbox/feh but like the session management and lxpanel. It doesn't seem to slow even the old lappy down (PIII, 128Mb)
cwickert

Post by cwickert »

I'm throw my hat in the ring for Fedora. For 2 reasons:
  1. I'm Fedora's LXDE maintainer :D
  2. Because of 1 we have all LXDE packages in Fedora and we have the most recent versions
The Fedora 11 LXDE Remix will be available soon with all the latest packages (after Linuxtag Berlin which is in 3 weeks) and I invite all of you to test it.

Regards,
Christoph
rockdoctor

Post by rockdoctor »

cwickert wrote:I'm throw my hat in the ring for Fedora. For 2 reasons:
  1. I'm Fedora's LXDE maintainer :D
  2. Because of 1 we have all LXDE packages in Fedora and we have the most recent versions
The Fedora 11 LXDE Remix will be available soon with all the latest packages (after Linuxtag Berlin which is in 3 weeks) and I invite all of you to test it.

Regards,
Christoph
Update: LXDE remix is out. http://alt.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt/re ... 6-live.iso
Geology - It's not rocket science, it's rock science!
microMXL

Post by microMXL »

Gentoo here :]

Gentoo + Slim + LXDE, both in my desktop and laptop (HP Compaq 6710b)
Works like a charm.
cwickert

Post by cwickert »

rockdoctor wrote:Update: LXDE remix is out. http://alt.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt/re ... 6-live.iso
I just want to clarify that this is not my work but a solo attempt from a Red Hat employee who has nothing to do with LXDE. He took an outdated kickstart file from me, modified it a little and now released the remix without any notice to me. The remix has several known bugs which were already fixed in updates, but still present in the remix.

There will be a new Fedora LXDE remix, but I haven't set a date yet because it does not make sense to release my remix two weeks after Rahul's. Also there is a SELinux issue that needs to be fixed. Sorry I have no more positive news. :(

Regards,
Christoph
shinchyn

Post by shinchyn »

anodyne wrote:I played around with a few distros with lxde and finally settled on xubuntu... I am using this on a netbook and I found it to be one of the faster solutions... and as a linux noob all the underlying ubuntu compatibility/support was a plus =)
One for Arch.
I like archlinux very much for its KISS. And it really works well on my PC.
conta

Post by conta »

i have question>

what distro uses the newest version of lxde?

i run debian and packages are kind of outdated. i am interested in running newer version of lxde, but dont wanna install svn :)