net. status monitor makes bad

Having problems getting connected to the internet or getting your wireless card to work? Ask here.
luboss

net. status monitor makes bad

Post by luboss »

Hello,

I've got lxde 0.4 with lxpanel-0.4.1 on my notebook but it haven't recognized my battery (some sort of bug) so I installed lxpanel-0.5.1 but there's another problem: Network Status Monitor (Panel Applet) has also some bug. As soon as I click on it no window appears but the panel disappears for a 1 sec.
I must mention that I don't use NetworkManager. I just want to monitor how many MBs my computer transmitted via the interface.
I also tried lxpanel-0.5.3 - the same bug.

Do I have to report a bug?

Thanks & regards
DixieDancer

Re: net. status monitor makes bad

Post by DixieDancer »

Try using wicd as your network manager. If that doesn't improve things, check the bug reports... it may be something they're already aware of.

-Robin
maces

Post by maces »

Hi

Currently I'm using wicd on my laptop and netcfg on my desktop. On my desktop I use the LXDE network plugin for monitoring. For me it works?! Could you try to do the tasks on this page. Would be very nice, if you could help us testing.

maces
luboss

Post by luboss »

DixieDancer wrote:Try using wicd as your network manager. If that doesn't improve things, check the bug reports... it may be something they're already aware of.
-Robin
I don't like network managers. I'm cmd line preferred user :-)
The problem is that I could use the traffic counter which appeared after clicking on the network monitor. This was possible with lxpanel-0.4.1 but not anymore with 0.5.x. As I wrote - as I click on it no window appears. Only a weird "effect" - the panel disappears for about 1-2 seconds (and of course appears again).
maces wrote:Hi

Currently I'm using wicd on my laptop and netcfg on my desktop. On my desktop I use the LXDE network plugin for monitoring. For me it works?! Could you try to do the tasks on this page. Would be very nice, if you could help us testing.

maces
Ok, I will study it and let you know. I like the lxde project and would like to help developers with the issues so that lxde can grow.
Marty Jack

Post by Marty Jack »

The one second blink indicates that the panel is crashing.

Clicking on the icon works on my setup, so it is working at least some of the time. What type of network hardware is this?
luboss

Post by luboss »

Marty Jack wrote:The one second blink indicates that the panel is crashing.
Oh, good to know this, thanks.
Clicking on the icon works on my setup, so it is working at least some of the time. What type of network hardware is this?
Broadcom NetXtreme BCM5705M_2 Gigabit Ethernet, but I think it doesn't matter because I tried it also with wlan card Atheros AR5212/AR5213 and set the interface (via right clicking on the applet and chosing N...Settings) to wlan0 (connected to internet). I experienced the very same problem.
Btw. I found this segfault in dmesg:
lxpanel[6757]: segfault at 10 ip b696478a sp bff31a20 error 4 in netstatus.so[b695b000+f000]