[solved] Using KDE apps under LXDE

Please post all general support questions for LXDE here.
tlaloc

[solved] Using KDE apps under LXDE

Post by tlaloc »

Hi,
I am playing around with LXDE in Archlinux. However, my default DE is KDEmod (see http://kdemod.ath.cx). I am using the legacy-version (3.5.9 instead of 4.1 series). This still installs to /opt/kde/bin (I am not sure, but I think this has been changed recently for KDE4). I would like to use some of the stronger KDE apps under LXDE (kmail, k3b, yakuake ...).
Unfortunatedly, these apps are not recognized by LXDE. Opening them in console just returns me a "command not found"-message. Menumaker and OBmenu don't find these apps.
What I have tried is to create a file ~/.profile, which looks like this:

Code: Select all

#Ergänzung für Zusammenspiel LXDE und KDE
/bin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin:/opt/java/jre/bin:/usr/bin/perlbin/site:/usr/bin/perlbin/vendor:/usr/bin/perlbin/core:/opt/kde:/opt/kde:/opt/kde

I have also tried a version with pointers to /opt/kde/bin - still doesn't work. Google tells me that others have the same problems, but it doesn't tell me about the solution.

Any comments wellcome,
Matt
tlaloc

Re: [solved] Using KDE apps under LXDE

Post by tlaloc »

Ok, I asked the same question in the KDEmod-forum, and the current maintainer of KDEmod3 pointed to these solutions:
I see what the problem is. you add /opt/kde to your PATH, which is not the directory with the binaries in it, but you could have looked in the directory yourself.
just do

echo 'PATH=$PATH:/opt/kde/bin' >> /etc/rc.local
done. or what you could do is put a file in profile.d (this is imho the more elegant solution):

kde3path.sh:
#!/bin/sh
PATH=$PATH:/opt/kde/bin
and then make it executable:

chmod +x /etc/profile.d/kde3path.sh
when /opt/kde/bin is in your PATH, it will work, believe me smile I do it all the time
So consider this done.