LXDE too slow

Please post all general support questions for LXDE here.
Karamel

LXDE too slow

Post by Karamel »

How can I turn off unnecessary features like animation when resizing a window?
I installed LXDE on an old computer with 300 MHz, 512 MB.
maces

Re: LXDE too slow

Post by maces »

Hi

For the animation have a look at your "~/config/openbox/lxde-rc.xml". In the next step choose a theme,which doesn't need much resources, for example "mist". Then stop all your deamon you don't need. For this please consider your distros wiki. Btw. what's your distro?

maces
Karamel

Post by Karamel »

maces wrote:For the animation have a look at your "~/config/openbox/lxde-rc.xml".(...).
Btw. what's your distro?
Debian/ Lenny
So it is actually an Openbox problem?
Thanks for your screencasts btw.
maces

Post by maces »

I wouldn't say so, openbox is fast, but you can tweak it a bit, of course. But more important then the Design of the desktop, is the system in the background. You checked for unnecessary daemons, working in the background?

btw: thx :)

maces
Karamel

Post by Karamel »

According to "top" there is no daemon that causes the problem.

After I installed KDE on this computer (which I am using right now) it was slow, too, but after I turned off some features, it was fine.

450 MHz, 512 MB, Matrox G200, KDE: no problem
300 MHz, 512 MB, Matrox G100, LXDE: too slow

Especially starting programms is slow or switching between pages/ tabs in configuration/ preferences windows.
Next week I can do some more tests.
maces

Post by maces »

What about the harddisk? how big are they, and more important, how fast? What applications are you using while LXDE is that slow? I can't imagine, that LXDE is slower than KDE :p even when the LXDE PC is a bit slower.

maces
Karamel

Post by Karamel »

Harddisk is Seagate 4 GB
The slow speed when starting programms seems to be a harddisk problem and it "feels" like that. I thought the HDD might run in PIO mode, but hdparm told me that it runs in UDMA mode. Strange.

The time the system needs to boot until gdm is ready is 3 minutes and 6 seconds. (After 2'12'' switch text mode to X.)

I switched off "Show content when resizing window" (or something like that) that did speed up maximising windows a bit.
Number of desktops is set to 1.

E.g.: Abiword with two documents. No other programs running. Switching between these documents is still a little slow.

PCMan: When I click on "floppy" the floppy is mounted but a message appears that the directory does not exists. (I don't know which one the message means.) So I have to go to /media/floppy0. To unmount I have to type the command in the text window.
Karamel

Post by Karamel »

I am going to change the video card next week. Maybe this will help.
archibald haddock

Post by archibald haddock »

I am using LXDE on a Pentium-MMX 300Mhz with 64MB Ram and some Neomagic card. It runs quite well, if I dont start any 2D (or even 3D) games. That is with any high customized Gentoo, so maybe other things are slowing your pc.