PCLXDE Released!

Discussion on LXDE releases and Development. This forum is not the best way to contact the developers, please use the Development mailing list and Sourceforge to interact with them.
DixieDancer

PCLXDE Released!

Post by DixieDancer »

It rocks! Check the newest LXDE distro from PCLinuxOS! It's flawless, elegant, light, and speedy. The best implementation of LXDE I have seen yet.

-Robin
maces

Re: PCLXDE Released!

Post by maces »

Hi

There is also a blog post about it: http://blog.lxde.org/?p=423

maces
edward

Post by edward »

Since LXDE will run on slower systems, perhaps they should have included a kernel that would boot up with a 586, then the user could install a more streamlined kernel afterwards.
Debian Sid - LXDE
Neal

Post by Neal »

edward wrote:Since LXDE will run on slower systems, perhaps they should have included a kernel that would boot up with a 586, then the user could install a more streamlined kernel afterwards.
:?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

I tested it on an i586 before its release. It worked fine.
edward

Post by edward »

Neal wrote: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

I tested it on an i586 before its release. It worked fine.
It would not boot up on a K6-2 CPU. The LXDE Blog post on this, also referenced this fact.

I'm hoping Lubuntu will be officially recognized by Canonical in time for Ubuntu 10.04's release next year.
Debian Sid - LXDE
Neal

Post by Neal »

I see. :roll: Your point was not so much what we at PCLinuxOS did, but rather a knock and a plug for lubuntu.
edward

Post by edward »

Neal wrote:I see. :roll: Your point was not so much what we at PCLinuxOS did, but rather a knock and a plug for lubuntu.
I'm not knocking any one distro. I feel that most of the distros should include a default kernel with the image, that will install on the widest available range of systems (at least a 586-based CPU), then if the user wants to install a kernel more optimized for their specific CPU, they can certainly do that.
Debian Sid - LXDE
confused.brit

Post by confused.brit »

edward wrote: I'm not knocking any one distro. I feel that most of the distros should include a default kernel with the image, that will install on the widest available range of systems (at least a 586-based CPU), then if the user wants to install a kernel more optimized for their specific CPU, they can certainly do that.
Not every Linux user is a Kernel compiling user. And not everyone wants to be. I certainly dont want to.

How many new Ubuntu users you expect to run Lubuntu (picked since its your distro of choice), decide its too slow and compile a new kernel? Nope, I expect they will go 'Linux is too slow' or 'Lubuntu is too slow' or 'LXDE is too slow' and move to a different distro. Hey Maybe they will try PCLXDE and say 'Wow. Look at how zippy it is'

If people want to run a distro on older hardware, there are already distros for that. Puppy anyone?