An envelipe icon on LXPanel

Please post all general support questions for LXDE here.
culip

An envelipe icon on LXPanel

Post by culip »

I upgraded my Lubuntu to v11.10, then an envelope icon appears in the list of "indicator applets" on the LXPanel [see image]. It looks like a messenger-related service, and I don't know how to quit and remove it since I don't even know its name.

I wonder if some of you know what it is, or, how to identify it. Any advice would be appreciated :)
Attachments
lubuntuEnvelope.png
lubuntuEnvelope.png (29.38 KiB) Viewed 4496 times
Bob E

Re: An envelipe icon on LXPanel

Post by Bob E »

culip wrote:It looks like a messenger-related service, and I don't know how to quit and remove it since I don't even know its name.
Hi culip. Right click on the panel and click "Panel Settings". Then click on the "Panel Applets" tab. In the list, find the one called "Indicator applets", highlight it and click "remove".
culip wrote:I wonder if some of you know what it is
Annoying! :lol:

It's a chat traffic indicator among other things. I always delete that one.
culip

Post by culip »

Thanks for your quick reply, Bob :)
Bob E wrote:"Indicator applets", highlight it and click "remove".
I actually need the list of the indicator applets; as in the screenshot in my first post, I need "volume controller", iBus (to type Japanese characters), and "network connection (nm-connection-editor)" but want to remove that envelope.

I wonder if you know how to identify items in the indicator applets. I can use command-line stuff by the way.

Thanks,
Culip
Bob E

Post by Bob E »

I don't know if there is a list of the indicator applets. I've never used that panel item, so I have no learned experiences to share with you. But, you can always add the volume applet back to the panel, and the network manager will not be removed when that indicator applet is removed. (I've done this on Lu 10.10, 11.04, and 11.10 and the NM has always remained in place.)

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
Attachments
Panel Items.png
Panel Items.png (4.54 KiB) Viewed 4453 times
culip

Post by culip »

Thanks again, Bob.

I guess "Network Status Monitor" on the LXPanel is still in development. I wish I can connect to or disconnect from WiFi by several clicks rather than typing commands on the terminal. Out of my personal preference, I'd like to have nm-applet which should appear on the "indicator applets" until LXDE's default Network Status Monitor evolves enough. Also as a Japanese speaker, I wish I can see the iBus (Japanese & Chinese input method editor) icon on my taskbar too.

If someone knows how to identify item(s) on the "indicator applets", please tell me.

Thanks,
Culip

p.s. To developer(s) creating Network Status Monitor: If I make you feel bad, I apologize. I really admire you guys for and appreciate tremendous effort you've made. You guys are always awesome. I'm wishing LXDE's greater achievements in the future.
rokytnji

Post by rokytnji »

I guess "Network Status Monitor" on the LXPanel is still in development. I wish I can connect to or disconnect from WiFi by several clicks rather than typing commands on the terminal
Then use something like wicd-gtk to connect.
screenshot.jpg
(8.13 KiB) Not downloaded yet
The one icon next to the speaker is wicd. The other to the far right is just a monitor grabbed from available items in taskbar to add and just monitors my network(no connection capabilities, it is just for info)
If someone knows how to identify item(s) on the "indicator applets", please tell me.
Sorry. Don't know.
Amrel RT 786ex 1.6ghz, 512MB ram , AntiX 8.5 core, Biker Linux user # 475019
Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way
My AntiX LXDE Install
culip

Post by culip »

wicd-gtk . . . I think I've never tried that before, but sounds nice. I'm going to try it. Thanks rokytnji :)