Setup window size/position

Please post all general support questions for LXDE here.
David

Setup window size/position

Post by David »

Hi. I'm new in lxde, currently I'm using on ubuntu 12.04 (I've installed lubuntu-desktop). I'm very surprised, it's extraordinary fast, I love it. However I miss one feature, there are some programs (for example lubuntu-software-center) that don't remember if I moved/resized their windows, they always open in the same place with the same size. Some others as PCManFM only remember in the season, when I restart they forget my desired window size.

Is there any way to change this behaviour? Thanks.
seppalta

Re: Setup window size/position

Post by seppalta »

I thought they always open the same size as the previous time opened, but position can float. Anyway, Openbox Configuration Manager offers some settings and /usr/share/themes/Oldred/openbox-3/themere, where Oldred is replaced by the name of your theme of choice, offers others. See http://douwil7.100webspace.net/linux/Tuning.html#6.
David

Post by David »

Hi seppalta. Not sure for other applications, but I'm sure that PCManFM and lubuntu-software-center lose resizing when restarting.

I didn't found any suitable option in Openbox Configuration Manager. I'm using Ambiance theme (ubuntu default) and I don't have 'themere' file. However I've checked some openbox themes and I think that file only rules colors and visual parameters. Could you be more specific? Thanks.
seppalta

Post by seppalta »

Sorry, cannot be more specific as I have never tried changing defaults in this regard. You might also have a look at /usr/share/pcmanfm/ui/desktop-pref.ui. Let me know if you find the directory that controls placement. Cheers. :|
amjjawad

Post by amjjawad »

My guess it's because you haven't installed Lubuntu from a LiveCD or LiveUSB, but you have installed it as a package within your Ubuntu Installation. Please keep in mind that installing Lubuntu is NOT like installing lubuntu-desktop package :)

I do have two machines with Lubuntu 12.04, one machine has 2 installation of Lubuntu 12.04, the other has two as well. So, total of 4 installation of Lubuntu 12.04. I can confirm that all my 4 installations remember where to place the Window even after I reboot.

Menu > Preferences > Openbox Configuration Manager > Windows > Check:
1- Focus New Windows when they appear
2- Center New Windows when they are placed

Then Close.

By the way, Lubuntu installation should be even faster than lubuntu-desktop package installation ;)
Feel Free to contact me: http://amjjawad.net
OpenBox

Post by OpenBox »

In order for PCManFM to remember Window Size you should edit

Code: Select all

~/.config/pcmanfm/LXDE/pcmanfm.conf
with specific values like as follows:

Code: Select all

[ui]
win_width=640
win_height=800

As for Window position, that doesn't bother me so much so I've chosen one of the other options in the Openbox Config Manager.