Accessing files & icons on Desktop

Please post all general support questions for LXDE here.
lokesh

Accessing files & icons on Desktop

Post by lokesh »

Hello,
being entirely new to LXDE I must raise a question that is probably stupid, but I cannot find any solution yet.

The Desktop does not show any files nor icons, although in the FileManager files are listed under Desktop. Do I require an additional program to change this setting? I know this issue from Gnome3 and found it weird that such an established feature required an additional program to install and launch :twisted: .

I would like to see also mounted drives on my Desktop. The bin would also be nice.

Thanks,
Lokesh
seppalta

Re: Accessing files & icons on Desktop

Post by seppalta »

The procedure is mildly involved but it is foolproof and offers a variety of possibilities and keeps LXDE light: http://douwil7.100webspace.net/linux/Tuning.html#11.
rockdoctor

Post by rockdoctor »

Perhaps you need to tell the filemanager (pcmanfm) to manage the desktop Press <Alt>-D2 to open a run dialog and enter the following:

Code: Select all

pcmanfm --desktop
If that works, make sure that ~/$HOME/.config/pcmanfm/LXDE/pcmanfm.conf includes a desktop section. I've included the desktop section of mine below as a sample:

Code: Select all

[desktop]
wallpaper_mode=1
wallpaper=/home/a/images/100_2173_Turkeys.jpg
desktop_bg=#000000
desktop_fg=#dbe6f1
desktop_shadow=#000000
desktop_font=Liberation Sans 9
show_wm_menu=1
Geology - It's not rocket science, it's rock science!
huihs

Post by huihs »

change this setting? I know this issue from Gnome3 and found it weird that such an established feature required an additional program to install and launch :twisted: .

I would like to see also mounted drives on my Desktop. The bin would also be nice.