how to change keyboard shortcuts?

Please post all general support questions for LXDE here.
anodyne

how to change keyboard shortcuts?

Post by anodyne »

hey guys,

I'm new to LXDE and have really been loving it. One thing I can not figure out though is how to edit the keyboard shortcuts?

For example I'd like to bind the "windows" key to display the lxde menu (ala windows style)

Thanks!
Marty Jack

Re: how to change keyboard shortcuts?

Post by Marty Jack »

Use your window manager's key binding facilities to bind the key to "lxpanelctl menu".
anodyne

Post by anodyne »

excuse my ignorance but doesn't lxde provide the window manager?
Marty Jack

Post by Marty Jack »

anodyne wrote:excuse my ignorance but doesn't lxde provide the window manager?
No, we don't. We allow the user to use any window manager they prefer. Openbox is suggested as a lightweight alternative.
anodyne

Post by anodyne »

lxde is built on top of openbox though isn't it? are you saying it's possible to use the lxde frontend with a window manager other than openbox? like joe's window manager for example?

in the meantime, for others using lxde + openbox like myself, the relevant file to edit is /home/<user>/.config/openbox/lxde-rc.xml

the menu.xml file in the same directory is another file i had been trying to find so i could change the quickstart menu items/behavior.

I'm curious if openbox itself provides support for function volume keys? i.e. just add the relevant entries to rc.xml? Or will I have to keep using xbindkeys...
Last edited by anodyne on Sat May 30, 2009 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marty Jack

Post by Marty Jack »

anodyne wrote:lxde is built on top of openbox though isn't it? are you saying it's possible to use the lxde frontend with a window manager other than openbox? like joe's window manager for example?
We do not supply the window manager, which controls the placement of windows on the screen and draws the decoration at the top, or the display manager, which lets you log in. It is more correct to say lxsession, which starts applications when you log in, and lxpanel, which draws the taskbar(s), run alongside these two processes. There is communication between the panel and the window manager, but it is done according to well specified and widely implemented standard protocols. You may select any window manager or display manager you like. Many people also run pcmanfm, which among other functions manages the icons drawn on the desktop.

Some people, of course, run their systems with only a window manager (no session manager or panel) and start applications from its popup menu.

In LXDE, you need to start both the panel and the window manager when you log in. The way we do this is to have the display manager start the session manager, and then the session manager starts the window manager and the panel.
archibald haddock

Post by archibald haddock »

Marty Jack wrote: In LXDE, you need to start both the panel and the window manager when you log in. The way we do this is to have the display manager start the session manager, and then the session manager starts the window manager and the panel.
Hmm, I stopped the space eater from my lxde startup, am I loosing import functionality I just never saw before?
Marty Jack

Post by Marty Jack »

If by "space eater" you mean the panel, you might be one of those people who only needs the window manager. My viewpoint is that the panel is a convenience feature to have the application menu nearby and to have an easy way to iconify and raise running applications. I find the clock handy as well.
geoff

Post by geoff »

How does one set the Windows key to open the menu? I tried putting in:

<keybind key="W">

<keybind key="W-">

It doesn't work. How do you do it?
seppalta

Post by seppalta »

I think you need to involve 2 keys, for example:

Code: Select all