[Solved] Double clicking on folders opens New Window

Please post all general support questions for LXDE here.
manuel.dossantos

[Solved] Double clicking on folders opens New Window

Post by manuel.dossantos »

Hello to all:

I have a little issue regarding my lxde desktop (Lubuntu 11.10, by the way).

In the Desktop, and if there is already a window opened with File Manager, when i double-click on another folder`s icon, it opens that folder as a New Tab inside the already opened window.

What i need to know is this: ¿Is there a way to make "Open in New Window" the default response to my double-clicks?

thanks guys.
Last edited by manuel.dossantos on Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
Rex Bouwense

Re: Double clicking on folders in the Desktop

Post by Rex Bouwense »

I'm not sure what you want. Ctrl + N should open a new window when you have PCManFM open and Ctrl + Q should close the window. However, you have shortcuts to folders on your desktop that will not open in a new window (which you want to happen) They always open in a tab to the existing window (which you do not want). Is that correct? What happens when you try to open PCManFM on a different desktop? Do you then have two separate windows each on its own desktop?
Rex
manuel.dossantos

Rex Bouwense wrote:I'm not sure what you want. Ctrl + N should open a new window when you have PCManFM open and Ctrl + Q should close the window. However, you have shortcuts to folders on your desktop that will not open in a new window (which you want to happen) They always open in a tab to the existing window (which you do not want). Is that correct? What happens when you try to open PCManFM on a different desktop? Do you then have two separate windows each on its own desktop?
That is correct, that`s what i want: that every time i double-click on a "folder`s shortcut" it opens a new window.

Regarding the "different desktops" issue, i dont use more than one desktop. Never have.
manuel.dossantos

Yes!! I solved the problem! this is how i did it:

1) Open the Terminal and type this commands:

Code: Select all

sudo aptitude install apt-src build-essential
sudo aptitude build-dep pcmanfm
mkdir ~/src
cd ~/src
apt-src install -b pcmanfm
2) Search for a file named pcmanfm.c (it should be in a folder named "pcmanfm-0.9.9/src") and open it with a Text Editor.

3) Once you opened the file pcmanfm.c, search within the text and look for this part (its around line 420):

gboolean pcmanfm_open_folder(GAppLaunchContext* ctx, GList* folder_infos, gpointer user_data, GError** err)
{
    GList* l = folder_infos;
    for(; l; l=l->next)
    {
        FmFileInfo* fi = (FmFileInfo*)l->data;
        fm_main_win_open_in_last_active(fi->path); 
    }
    return TRUE;
}
and change it to this:

gboolean pcmanfm_open_folder(GAppLaunchContext* ctx, GList* folder_infos, gpointer user_data, GError** err)
{
    GList* l = folder_infos;
    for(; l; l=l->next)
    {
        FmFileInfo* fi = (FmFileInfo*)l->data;
        //fm_main_win_open_in_last_active(fi->path); // new-win fix 
	fm_main_win_add_win(NULL, fi->path);         // new-win fix
    }
    return TRUE;
}
Save the changes and exit your text editor.

4) Then again, open the Terminal and type:

cd pcmanfm-0.9.9
dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -uc -b
cd ..
sudo dpkg -i pcmanfm*deb
5) Restart and enjoy. Every double click you make on a folder will open a new window!

Note: i got the solution from: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php? ... st11690664
Last edited by manuel.dossantos on Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rex Bouwense

Re: [Solved] Double clicking on folders opens New Window

Post by Rex Bouwense »

Great and thanks for posting your solution for others to benefit.
Rex
manuel.dossantos

Re: [Solved] Double clicking on folders opens New Window

Happy to help!