No Transparent Background in Fedora 18

The standard panel of LXDE - http://wiki.lxde.org/en/LXPanel
Palooka

No Transparent Background in Fedora 18

Post by Palooka »

I have been using lxpanel on several versions of Fedora, on Debian and on FreeBSD.

Until now I have always been able to set the background transparency (Panel Settings -> Appearance -> Solid Colour with opacity).
But having installed Fedora 18 I cannot get the transparency effect. Incidentally, transparency works fine with the background of lxterminal, so I don't think it's a video issue.

Any ideas?
OpenBox

Re: No Transparent Background in Fedora 18

Post by OpenBox »

I'm having a similar issue.
seppalta

Post by seppalta »

I have been using lxpanel on several versions of Fedora, on Debian and on FreeBSD. Until now I have always been able to set the background transparency...
From what you say and my own experience, which is with numerous Debian based systems and many after market installs, this must be a Fedora 18 issue. It has never been a problem for me.
rockdoctor

Post by rockdoctor »

Definitely a Fedora issue - it persists into the current F19 alpha. I took matters into my own hand and installed compton (a fork of xcompmgr) and created a desktop file in ~.config/autostart to set the transparency of the panels by executing the following script, which identifies the panels by their dimensions:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash

while [ -z "$panel1" ]; do
  panel1=$(xwininfo -root -children | grep 1680x24 | awk '{print $1}')
done
while [ -z "$panel2" ]; do
  panel2=$(xwininfo -root -children | grep 24x1026 | awk '{print $1}')
done
compton-trans -w $panel1 67
compton-trans -w $panel2 67

exit 0
Geology - It's not rocket science, it's rock science!