LXLE

Non-tech-support topic may be discussed here. Discussions on religion and politics are not allowed. This area is intended for fun and community building, not arguments; Please take those elsewhere.
Rex Bouwense

LXLE

Post by Rex Bouwense »

OK. This has been out for a while. Has any one downloaded and used LXLE (Lubuntu Extra Life Extension)? I have been reading about it and it is apparently based on Lubuntu 12.04 (which is based on Ubuntu 12.04, a LTS). The dowload is well over a Gb so it will not fit on a CD. (DVDs and flash drives only). It is supposed to be supported for 5 years like a LTS. Essentially this will turn a Lubuntu version into a LTS. It currently has none. There is a small forum that has been started on the Souce Forge web site. It really provides no additional information.
http://sourceforge.net/p/lxle/discussion/?source=navbar
There is a lengthy (9 page) thread on the Ubuntu Forums
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php? ... light=lxle
and of course there is the LXLE web site itself.
http://www.lxle.net/index.php?showimage=10

Any comments from users will be appreciated.
Rex
seppalta

Re: LXLE

Post by seppalta »

I have to confess that I really like it. I haven't given it the test of time, but the initial install and configuration were flawless. Even without my personal additions and subtractions, you get a nicely set-up system - random wallpaper changer; small, unintrusive Conky; large set (like 50) of scenic wallpaper pictures; large set (like 20) of games; substantial number of applications including some things like skype that are not usually in stock distros, dual-arch already in the 64-bit, wine installed right from Synaptic in the 64-bit, a useful, clean Openbox Menu, etc. Being so complete it will make for an easy time for a beginner (and senior). I think there are 2 software centers included for beginners. Of course, minimalists will want to remove many of these items, but that only requires finding them in Synaptic and clicking "remove." Of course, remastersys was made for ubuntu based distros, so making a copy of my custom LXLE set-up was a cup-of-cake compared to using remastersys in a pure Debian install. The remastered custom system installed on a second computer in about 30 minutes without a hitch. For more, see http://lxlinux.com/lxle.html.
Rex Bouwense

Post by Rex Bouwense »

Did I read that correctly?? Seppalta likes a Lubuntu release (modified of course), but it is still Lubuntu. I enjoyed 12.04 when it came out and I must admit that 12.10 did little to improve it. I am going to have to download the very large ISO and try it myself especially since the new version (13.04) is only supported for 9 months. I have tried other distros with LXDE but I keep coming back to Lubuntu. Perhaps I am lazy.
Rex
rokytnji

Post by rokytnji »

Have not been around for awhile. Recuping from busting my ass. ;) Everything is cool now, (healed up).
Caught this thread and figured I'd give this a look see.

Code: Select all

$ inxi -Fxz
Resuming in non X mode: glxinfo not found. For package install advice run: inxi --recommends
System:    Host: lxle1204 Kernel: 3.2.0-40-generic i686 (32 bit, gcc: 4.6.3) 
           Desktop: LXDE (Openbox 3.5.0) Distro: Ubuntu precise (12.04.2 LTS)
Machine:   System: Acer (portable) product: Aspire 5534 version: V1.10
           Mobo: Acer model: Aspire 5534 version: V1.10 Bios: Acer version: V1.10 date: 08/26/2009
CPU:       Dual core AMD Athlon X2 L310 (-MCP-) cache: 1024 KB flags: (lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 svm) bmips: 4788.44 
           Clock Speeds: 1: 1197.111 MHz 2: 1197.111 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI RS780M/RS780MN [Mobility Radeon HD 3200 Graphics] bus-ID: 01:05.0 
           X.org: 1.11.3 drivers: ati,radeon (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)  1366x768  
Audio:     Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA) driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:14.2 
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: 1.0.24
Network:   Card-1: Atheros AR928X Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) driver: ath9k bus-ID: 02:00.0
           IF: wlan0 state: up mac: <filter>
           Card-2: Realtek RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller 
           driver: r8169 ver: 2.3LK-NAPI port: 2000 bus-ID: 08:00.0
           IF: eth1 state: down mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 258.0GB (5.0% used) 1: id: /dev/sda model: TOSHIBA_MK2555GS size: 250.1GB 
           2: USB id: /dev/sdb model: Multi size: 8.0GB 
Partition: ID: / size: 4.0G used: 226M (6%) fs: overlayfs ID: swap-1 size: 2.10GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap 
           ID: swap-2 size: 0.92GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap ID: swap-3 size: 0.92GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap 
RAID:      No RAID devices detected - /proc/mdstat and md_mod kernel raid module present
Sensors:   None detected - is lm-sensors installed and configured?
Info:      Processes: 130 Uptime: 1:26 Memory: 296.2/3527.9MB Runlevel: 2 Gcc sys: 4.6.3 
           Client: Shell (bash 4.2.25) inxi: 1.8.47 
For as big as the iso is. I still had to install gawk to get inxi working in this live session on a SD card. I am kinda on the fence thinking. Lots of stuff here. But no glx or mesa, No lmsesnors. No smxi or inxi. All the little stuff I like. But it has Pithos and Minitube.
Do I Install this on one of the Amrel Hard Drives (hot swap), Or the IBM A22M Laptop, (P3 1000hz, 512MB ram, DVDROM & Floppy), or the IBM T23 Laptop, (P3 1.2GHZ, 1gig ram,DVDROM, no Floppy).

Been busy testing AntiX 13 and ironing bugs out. It has some cool features also and no EOL (as my 8.5 LXDE core install is still current on the Amrel Laptop)
Shoot. I might become a Lubuntu user yet. (I know Rex & seppalta and amjjawad, wonders never cease) :o

Decisions, decisions. :lol:

P.S. The IBM T23 Laptop is in the lead on this one.
lxle1.jpg
I like this version of PCmanFM OK but I have mostly been a SpaceFM user lately.
(162.77 KiB) Not downloaded yet
As a nice to be back gesture. On low spec systems. Like on P3 machines that Flash 11.2 does not support anymore. I've been using the Grease Monkey addon and
http://linterna-magica.nongnu.org/ script in Grease Monkey to use Mplayer to play Youtube instead of using html5 or Adobe.

Just my way of saying howdy guys. Nice to be back.
Amrel RT 786ex 1.6ghz, 512MB ram , AntiX 8.5 core, Biker Linux user # 475019
Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way
My AntiX LXDE Install
Rex Bouwense

Post by Rex Bouwense »

Hey guy. I'm sort of a minimalist so Lubuntu fits for me. When I downloaded LXLE, all that I had left to load it up on was a 4 Gb flash drive. I came close to going over my GB limit. It is interesting but I'm not sure it will last. Not a big staff (one) and it is going to be supported for how many years. Good idea but I'll wait for Lubuntu to come out with a LTS. It wouldn't be bad if you put a Lubuntu OS on one of your many computers. It probably would shock amjjawad. Welcome back. By the way was the busted ass due to a cycle mishap? ;)
Rex
rokytnji

Post by rokytnji »

Kinda sorta. My shop cat snuck up behind me in the shop. I fell over backwards to a bike on the lift.
Bounced my hip/tail bone off the bike and then the cement. Think of a bruised tailbone when you were
a kid. Took a long time before I could sit down,laydown, just get comfy again so I could rest and heal.

Did a lot of liquor and pain killers for a while. Much better now.

By the way. Funny thing is. The shop cats name is CRASH> :lol:
Amrel RT 786ex 1.6ghz, 512MB ram , AntiX 8.5 core, Biker Linux user # 475019
Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way
My AntiX LXDE Install
seppalta

Post by seppalta »

I know Rex & seppalta and amjjawad, wonders never cease
Hey! Don't lump me with those guys. :D I'm still at least 2 distributions away from putting a Ubuntu layered operating system on a working computer and Lubuntu is simply too flaky (irregular). Oh, and marijana for pain is much easier on your liver.
Rex Bouwense

Post by Rex Bouwense »

Hey! Don't lump me with those guys.
What's this. Look at the second post in this thread.
I have to confess that I really like it.
Come on seppalta confess. ;)
Rex
seppalta

Post by seppalta »

I haven't given it the test of time
You quoted me out of context (see above). It flunked the test of time - too many little problems, inconsistent. Probably fixable over time but why bother when lxde distros not needing so many fixes exist. Also, Debian without Ubuntu layer faster with lots of open windows.

Is this going to become another Amjjawad Lubuntu Forum?
amjjawad

Post by amjjawad »

seppalta wrote:
I haven't given it the test of time
Is this going to become another Amjjawad Lubuntu Forum?
Trolling - Topic Closed!

Trolling is not allowed here. Please, do take that to somewhere else.

Thank you!
Feel Free to contact me: http://amjjawad.net