Start Ubuntu

Non-tech-support topic may be discussed here. Discussions on religion and politics are not allowed. This area is intended for fun and community building, not arguments; Please take those elsewhere.
amjjawad

Start Ubuntu

Post by amjjawad »

Dear all,

Kindly have a read on this link: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Lubuntu/Communi ... tartUbuntu

Thank you!
Feel Free to contact me: http://amjjawad.net
Korrode

Re: Start Ubuntu

Post by Korrode »

Not to worry, with the full set of Ubuntu Family, with 8 systems from Ubuntu to Kubuntu to Xubuntu to Lubuntu and others, Windows XP Users will be dazzled, no doubt about it
"Dazzled"? More like confused and bewildered.

These are people who've been running the same operating system for over 10 years.
They're people who've never had to make a desktop environment choice in their life. You'll fast find that for most average computer users, being bombarded with choice isn't actually something they want or enjoy. They've always had the style of desktop environment dictated to them by Microsoft, most of them probably didn't consciously consider if they thought the Windows environment was "good" or "bad" - why would they bother with such a consideration when there'd be no outcome from making it.

In my opinion, If you want to bring Windows XP users to Linux the best thing you could do is select whichever desktop environment can be setup to be as close to Windows XP as possible, set it up that way, then offer them that and absolutely nothing else. Don't mention 'desktop environments' or 'distributions' or anything like that, you just say "Here's something just like Windows XP expect there's still going to be software and security updates for it! The only extra thing is it has an "App Store" just like your phone! Have a free copy :)".

Maybe in time some of them will want to explore what else is in the Linux world and look at other DE's/Distro's/etc... but to start with, you hand them something as close to what they're used to as possible, so they can get on with using their computer for their day-to-day stuff in a manner that's familiar to them.
amjjawad

Post by amjjawad »

Hi and thanks for your reply :)

That Wiki Page is for us, the member of Start Ubuntu Project :)
We will NOT show that to the Users of Windows XP, that is for sure. We are not that stupid to do that ;)

That page is for us to have a plan and steps to follow. When the time will come, trust me, we will go as easy as possible.

Few days ago, a new user has proposed a project to create a skin for Lubuntu that will be similar to Windows XP. One of the tools that will make the migrate easier.

I have no idea why people think that Windows XP Users are stupid? they are not. If they have used to something for 10 years, maybe it is time for them to change? let's look at the bright side.

Anyway, I appreciate your opinion and I'm taking it into consideration. We are still on the stage of building a team. And, we both know that Lubuntu is the best if not the prefect alternative for Windows XP Users :)
We have no data. We have no idea what kind of hardware they do have. Could be old machines with 128MB RAM or could be 2GB RAM. No idea. We are not bothered about that. Our Lubuntu 13.10 which is still under development and still on Alpha1 stage, is stable and very strong. zRAM has been enabled by default. It is faster now. With 14.04, I am sure Lubuntu will be a huge hit.

We are very much ready for this huge challenge. Trust us :)

Thank you again!
Feel Free to contact me: http://amjjawad.net
Korrode

Post by Korrode »

amjjawad wrote:Hi and thanks for your reply :)

That Wiki Page is for us, the member of Start Ubuntu Project :)
We will NOT show that to the Users of Windows XP, that is for sure. We are not that stupid to do that ;)

That page is for us to have a plan and steps to follow. When the time will come, trust me, we will go as easy as possible.
Cool.
It just wasn't clear that was the plan from reading the page.

EDIT:
In fact looking again, it really isn't clear. You say:
Start Ubuntu page wrote:Start Ubuntu is simply offering NOT ONLY one replacing for Windows XP, it is offering 8 options, 8 alternatives, 8 Operating Systems
If you mean that you have a development pool of 8 systems to use for making your final singular product, maybe consider changing the wording on the site.

amjjawad wrote:Few days ago, a new user has proposed a project to create a skin for Lubuntu that will be similar to Windows XP. One of the tools that will make the migrate easier.
Anyway, I appreciate your opinion and I'm taking it into consideration. We are still on the stage of building a team. And, we both know that Lubuntu is the best if not the prefect alternative for Windows XP Users :)
We have no data. We have no idea what kind of hardware they do have. Could be old machines with 128MB RAM or could be 2GB RAM. No idea. We are not bothered about that. Our Lubuntu 13.10 which is still under development and still on Alpha1 stage, is stable and very strong. zRAM has been enabled by default. It is faster now. With 14.04, I am sure Lubuntu will be a huge hit.
Great.
I agree that LXDE already has similarities to the Windows XP feel and of course is a good choice for old hardware. That combined with Ubuntu's popularity/support and integrated back-end - no doubt it's a good base. I'm actually now an Xfce user (on Arch Linux) and haven't looked at a well setup and 'out-of-the-box' integrated LXDE system, such as Lubuntu, in a while, I expect it's very user-friendly nowadays. Sometime soon i'll have to install modern Lubuntu on a system and check it out.
amjjawad wrote:I have no idea why people think that Windows XP Users are stupid? they are not. If they have used to something for 10 years, maybe it is time for them to change? let's look at the bright side.
Well, I never said "stupid", a person could be a well-educated world-class biochemist or mechanical engineer or whatever, but that doesn't mean they know much computing or that they feel any desire for a 'change' on their computer.
amjjawad wrote:We are very much ready for this huge challenge.
And I wish you all the best in this pursuit.
...and so long as your end product does indeed meet the goal of being the second-to-none 'easiest' choice for Windows XP users to migrate to, I'll promote it to any suitable people i know/meet.
zohaa

Post by zohaa »

nice post,thanks for sharing
Are you worried about mcp answers prep and Brain Dumps.com Check out our latest resources for ccna braindump and coloradotech.edu questions for practice with pba guarantee of www.stevenson.edu