No network after "Suspend" [SOLVED]

Problems with hardware & laptops not being detected or supported during or after install.
gilga2

No network after "Suspend" [SOLVED]

Post by gilga2 »

Hi!
First post here so glad to be here! :)
My problem seems to have appeared since the upgrade from Ubuntu 13.04 to 13.10 :

When I wake up my desktop computer after suspend, everything seems to work fine except there's no network: I can see the indicator of wired network on the bottom right, but no websites can be reached.
I've tried to disconnect, than connect again the network (by clicking on the indicator and doing "disconnect", than select again may network), but it changes nothing.

Any idea?
Thanks a lot for your help in advance! :)
Last edited by gilga2 on Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rex Bouwense

Re: No network after "Suspend"

Post by Rex Bouwense »

Welcome to the LXDE forum. When you say upgrade from Ubuntu 13.04 to 13.10 do you mean Lubuntu or do you mean Ubuntu with LXDE? There is a difference. To your problem, there is nothing that would prevent you from connecting to a wired network if you were connected before the suspend. In the LXPanel there should be a network indicator icon. Ensure that enable networking is checked when you left click it. A wired network should just work out of the box. Perhaps your upgrade was not as successful as it should have been. Am I correct in assuming that you had wireless before you suspended the computer?
Rex
gilga2

Post by gilga2 »

Thanks for your reply Rex! ;)
It's Lubuntu indeed. I've got another computer where the upgrade from Lubuntu 13.04 to 13.10 worked seamlessly, so I guess the problem is here... But I don't know how to fix it.

On the LXPanel the network is well checked "enable Networking".
I have the wifi and wired network before suspend. And I can't connect after suspend to any webpages (even if the network seemed connected).

Since a few days I can't even see my mouse after "suspend"! It disappeared after suspend... I am forced to do a hard reset to get my computer back
So apparently, my "suspend" is completely broken... How could I make a new one from scratch, manually?
Rex Bouwense

Post by Rex Bouwense »

Something is broke.
Can you hybernate the computer or lock the screen? Perhaps the Power Manager was corrupted by the upgrade. Have you tried to uninstall and the reinstall it.
I have tried to upgrade twice from one version to another. Both times I had big time problems so I had to re-install. Others upgrade without issues. I guess it is the luck of the draw.
Rex
gilga2

Post by gilga2 »

:D
Thanks a lot, I think it works now!
What I've done :
-Uninstall Gnome-Power Manager: I don't know why it was here, but I uninstall it since somebody in a forum suggested it could be a problem to have multiple power manager
-Reinstall pm-utils
-Reinstall Xfce4-power manager. And inside, uncheck "Monitor power management control"

And that's it... So simple but I am relieved to have it working now!

Thanks again for your help rex!
Rex Bouwense

Re: No network after "Suspend" [SOLVED]

Post by Rex Bouwense »

Great. After re-reading your thread I am pounding my head on the desk. You mentioned that you upgraded from Ubuntu 13.04 to 13.10. That should have been the tip off. When you installed Lubuntu over Ubuntu, it does not uninstall the Ubuntu dependencies or applications that come with Ubuntu (unless you do it). When you took the action to uninstall the Gnome power manager and re-install the xfce power manger, you solved your problem. I do not know why it is not a problem on your other computer but if it acts up you have your solution.
Hey stick around and help out if you have the time. We are always looking for volunteers to help others.
Rex