Menu Button Bind Corner of the Display

Please post all general support questions for LXDE here.
dabgdk

Menu Button Bind Corner of the Display

Post by dabgdk »

When I move the mouse to the bottom left hand corner of the display to click the menu, I have to aim carefully, because the menu button is not "bound" to the very edge of the display (where the mouse goes with sloppy aim).

How do I bind the button / panel to the very edge of the display?

I realize that this has probably been asked before, but I didn't know how to search for what I want done.
drooly

Re: Menu Button Bind Corner of the Display

Post by drooly »

if lxpanel does it that way, i don't really see a way to change it.
separate hotcorner apps exist, but it would be too difficult for you to set them up.
Lew_Rockwell_fan

Post by Lew_Rockwell_fan »

If you mean the menu that starts with "Send to Desktop" and ends with "Close", which is mousebound to the window edges in the rc.xml, do 2 things:

1. Make your window borders a little thicker. This is specified in the themerc file in the your Openbox theme. Try 5 pixels as an initial experiment.

2. Get your windows positioned precisely, so that those edges are where they are supposed to be. There are settings in rc.xml that should help. For some things you might invoke them with a script that hits them with wmctrl (and install it if you don't have it) to get the position just right, and some things can be invoked with geometry options. I almost never maximize anything. But I open most things the same size they WOULD be if they were maximized correctly. Obconf might help with this also, but it's been a while since I fooled with it so I may misremember.

If, on the other hand, you mean a "main" menu kind of menu that comes from a button on a panel that runs across the bottom of the screen, I can't help you much because I quit using panels years ago. But as I remember, most panels have 2 means of setting their geometry: through the command that starts them and with a gui that usually is accessed by right clicking on the panel. You can probably position the panel so that its bottom and left edges are just barely off the screen. You can probably make the panel bigger in the vertical dimension and make the button grow to fill it also. Two separate settings on the last panel I used. Maybe that could help.
drooly

Post by drooly »

drooly wrote:if lxpanel does it that way, i don't really see a way to change it.
separate hotcorner apps exist, but it would be too difficult for you to set them up.
in retrospect, i think using a different gtk theme and/or adjusting icon sizes in lxpanel's settings might be worth a try.