Recent Documents List

Non-tech-support topic may be discussed here. Discussions on religion and politics are not allowed. This area is intended for fun and community building, not arguments; Please take those elsewhere.
smetho

Recent Documents List

Post by smetho »

Good Afternoon Forum People

I recently decided to trial LXDE as my window manager under Linux MINT 19. I have two rather old laptops which are more than adequate for my requirements, however, a window manager such as Cinnamon simply uses too many resources. So far I quite like the simplicity of LXDE and the fact that it uses much less system resources.

Some functionality that I would find very useful in PCManFM is a "recent documents" item under "Places". I realise that the appropriate place to enquire about same is to the developers via email, however, I decided to raise it in this forum first to see if others thought such an improvement would be useful.

regards
Stephen Meatheringham
Canberra, Australia
Rex Bouwense

Re: Recent Documents List

Post by Rex Bouwense »

Welcome to the LXDE forums. You are correct in saying that the proper place to raise a future request is with the developers and they seldom if ever visit this forum. If you had checked the announcement you would have found this:
New web sites for PCMan File Manager
for bugs: http://sourceforge.net/p/pcmanfm/bugs/
for future requests: http://sourceforge.net/p/pcmanfm/feature-requests/
Perhaps you will get some interest or some comments on your request here.

By the way,
In LXDE, your file manager is PCManFM and your window manager is OpenBox
Rex
smetho

Post by smetho »

Rex Bouwense wrote:Welcome to the LXDE forums. You are correct in saying that the proper place to raise a future request is with the developers and they seldom if ever visit this forum. If you had checked the announcement you would have found this:
New web sites for PCMan File Manager
for bugs: http://sourceforge.net/p/pcmanfm/bugs/
for future requests: http://sourceforge.net/p/pcmanfm/feature-requests/
Perhaps you will get some interest or some comments on your request here.
Dear Rex

Many thanks for your reply. It was after reading the announcements and verifying the appropriate place to raise a request that I decided to post this item. Given that a single user's request is unlikely to be given any sort of priority I thought it better to see if others would be interested in this type of enhancement before raising the issue with the developers. If no one else finds such a feature useful then I would probably just look at coding it for myself.

Thanks again for your comments.

regards Stephen
Rex Bouwense

Post by Rex Bouwense »

I would not let a lack of a response hold back a future request. I would go ahead and submit it. However, you are aware that it would take time so I would simultaneously write my own code to accomplish what I wanted PCMan to do. You could also share it with the readers of this forum if you would like.
Rex
seppalta

Post by seppalta »

A recent documents pipe menu is available: See #5 in http://lxlinux.com/pipemenus.html
drooly

Post by drooly »

^ i doubt that op is using the openbox menu.

in any case, the recent document functionality is already there, there's just no gui for it!

alternatives to get the gui thingymajick:
  • see if lxpanel has a plugin for just that
  • if it hasn't, consider installing xfce4-panel. it's slightly heavier than lxpanel, but still much lighter than cinnamon. only the panel, not the whole xfce desktop.
  • if you like fiddling with config files, you might enjoy the functionality of a customised openbox menu. see seppalta's lxlinux site.
Warnerbep

Recent Documents List

Post by Warnerbep »

It seems, that there is no hope to get an option to manually manage the recent documents management as in the most modern applications, including MS Office apps.

Could anybody at least tell where the recent files list is stored the exact key in the system registry or the location of the appropriate settings file?

Thanks
drooly

Post by drooly »

Warnerbep wrote:It seems, that there is no hope to get an option to manually manage the recent documents management as in the most modern applications, including MS Office apps.

Could anybody at least tell where the recent files list is stored the exact key in the system registry or the location of the appropriate settings file?

Thanks
I think you got lost.
This is a Linux forum, not Windows.
MageBum

Recent Documents List

Post by MageBum »

I would like to be able to actually keep my Recent Documents when doing a clean up, yet I cant seem to find an option to allow that. Can someone point me to a way to do so, or can this be added to new features?

Thanks,
cwharts
Rex Bouwense

Post by Rex Bouwense »

See previous posts to this thread.
Rex