Is LXDE going to continue to have support and development?

Discussion on LXDE releases and Development. This forum is not the best way to contact the developers, please use the Development mailing list and Sourceforge to interact with them.
MD.Parissenti

Is LXDE going to continue to have support and development?

Post by MD.Parissenti »

Is LXDE still going to have support or do we just have to wait for its end?
FlaviusHouk

Re: Is LXDE going to continue to have support and development?

Post by FlaviusHouk »

There are many more projects in SourceForge repo.
https://sourceforge.net/projects/lxde/

There were a few updates for key components, but as for other ones...
edward

Post by edward »

If LXDE development is continuing, the LXDE page at Wikipedia needs to be corrected. It currently shows 0.99.2 as the FINAL release of LXDE.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LXDE
Attachments
Info from LXDE Wikipedia page 14 Aug 2020 3:00 PM EDT US
Info from LXDE Wikipedia page 14 Aug 2020 3:00 PM EDT US
lxde-final-release.png (11.75 KiB) Viewed 10002 times
Debian Sid - LXDE
drooly

Post by drooly »

edward wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:00 pm If LXDE development is continuing, the LXDE page at Wikipedia needs to be corrected. It currently shows 0.99.2 as the FINAL release of LXDE.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LXDE
That is problematic.
The citation that is supposed to confirm results in 2 broken links for me.
I am now joining the LXDE mailing list to get some confirmation, and hopefully someone with a wikipedia account to look at this.
edward

Post by edward »

Another item I noticed in the article is the Repository information. Currently displays GitHub, but they also use Sourceforge.

Is one more official over the other?
Debian Sid - LXDE
drooly

Post by drooly »

edward wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 2:22 pm Another item I noticed in the article is the Repository information. Currently displays GitHub, but they also use Sourceforge.

Is one more official over the other?
One most probably mirrors the other. Fairly common practice nowadays.

It would appear that the LXDE wikipedia page is indeed wrong there - the last release was 0.99.2, but it's in no way "final", as, I believe, recent work on some core components proves.
Somebody on the mailing list suggested requesting the change to the wikipedia page myself (apparently I do not have to become a member to do that). Not sure I'm looking forward to this...
edward

Post by edward »

drooly wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:01 am One most probably mirrors the other. Fairly common practice nowadays.

It would appear that the LXDE wikipedia page is indeed wrong there - the last release was 0.99.2, but it's in no way "final", as, I believe, recent work on some core components proves.
Somebody on the mailing list suggested requesting the change to the wikipedia page myself (apparently I do not have to become a member to do that). Not sure I'm looking forward to this...
Anyone can even edit a Wikipedia page, that does not require an account. It looks like they now have something that is along the lines of a WYSIWYG editor, so you will see what something looks like as it's being edited. That looks much easier to do.
Debian Sid - LXDE
drooly

Post by drooly »

edward wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:03 pmAnyone can even edit a Wikipedia page, that does not require an account. It looks like they now have something that is along the lines of a WYSIWYG editor, so you will see what something looks like as it's being edited. That looks much easier to do.
If it's that easy, would you mind doing it please?
Just add some proof that LXDE is still under development.
edward

Post by edward »

drooly wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:07 pm
edward wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:03 pmAnyone can even edit a Wikipedia page, that does not require an account. It looks like they now have something that is along the lines of a WYSIWYG editor, so you will see what something looks like as it's being edited. That looks much easier to do.
If it's that easy, would you mind doing it please?
Just add some proof that LXDE is still under development.
My preference would be for someone within the LXDE group to do the editing.

Not using the Visual Editor, brings up a text screen, this screen has information that is not shown on the public page. That information states 0.99.2 is the latest release version, 'discontinued' shows YES and 'status' shows it's been superseded by LXQt.
Debian Sid - LXDE