Is this forum dead now ?

Please post all general support questions for LXDE here.
luxy

Is this forum dead now ?

Post by luxy »

I posted a couple of questions here in the last two months and they did not get resolved.

I see one is still in the top five most recent ! Traffic here seems sadly low scale.

Is this forum effectively dead now? Is there anywhere more active for LXDE support questions ? This is really no longer viable.

I really love the light LXDE approach but do I now need to accept this is effectively EOL?

Thanks to any fellow fans for state of play on LXDE.
Rex Bouwense

Re: Is this forum dead now ?

Post by Rex Bouwense »

The forum is not dead, but definitely under used. However, it never has been a very active forum and a forum is the place where users go to get a problem solved and share solutions that they have found. Developers seldom if ever visit forums. Forums are only as good and effective as the people who volunteer their time to assist others. That number has decreased over the years.
Rex
luxy

Post by luxy »

Thanks. Is there a bug reporting system elsewhere, where I can raise issues?
Rex Bouwense

Post by Rex Bouwense »

Certainly, see the second post here: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=575
Rex
drooly

Post by drooly »

See the link in my signature. Lxpanel was updated 16 days ago.

"Dead" is such an absolute termc - LXDE is not dead, neither is the forum obviously.

But you know that because you always get replies to your topics.
luxy wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:28 pm I posted a couple of questions here in the last two months and they did not get resolved.
We do not magically make threads resolved. This always requires both parties to help.
Sometimes there's just nothing more to say about a topic. This happens on all forums.
And in the end it's always up to OP to apply things to their own machine - and mark a thread resolved.
luxy

Post by luxy »

thanks for your comment and for your many replies to my questions here in the past.
And in the end it's always up to OP to apply things to their own machine - and mark a thread resolved.
I think I have always applied suggestions which are pertinent to the problem and marked issues resolved when they are. My comment was not a complaint, it was to point out that these two issues which have stalled are still visible in recent activity since there is so little activity in general here.
I posted a couple of questions here in the last two months and they did not get resolved.

I see one is still in the top five most recent ! Traffic here seems sadly low scale.
"Dead" is such an absolute term
Indeed, which is the exactly the reason I preceded that word with the adjective effectively :
Is this forum effectively dead now?
Please do not misrepresent what I said.

I am reassured that the LXDE is still an ongoing project.

@Rex:
Both the links on that page are dead. It seems that there is some stuff on sourceforge about LX* projects , maybe the links could be updated.
drooly

Post by drooly »

luxy wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:23 am
"Dead" is such an absolute term
Indeed, which is the exactly the reason I preceded that word with the adjective effectively :
Is this forum effectively dead now?
Please do not misrepresent what I said.
Fair enough but the much bolder thread title does not include that adjective.
I am reassured that the LXDE is still an ongoing project.
Good.
@Rex:
Both the links on that page are dead. It seems that there is some stuff on sourceforge about LX* projects , maybe the links could be updated.
There is that word again...
Anyhow, RexBouwense refered to the second post - it's what comes after the first post. It's on the same page.
luxy

Post by luxy »

Thanks for pointing out "second post". I read that the mean the second of the two links in the post he provided in the link. Here is a link to the second post:

viewtopic.php?p=50305#p50305

BTW you have an out of date certificate on lxde.org , it ran out on 29th Nov. and firefox is flagging a security issue which will deter most people from doing the two stage manual override to get here. You may like to check that out.
drooly

Post by drooly »

luxy wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:21 amBTW you have an out of date certificate on lxde.org , it ran out on 29th Nov. and firefox is flagging a security issue which will deter most people from doing the two stage manual override to get here. You may like to check that out.
The "you" you wish to address probably does not visit these forums at all.
I certainly do not have access to the server.
drooly

Post by drooly »

luxy wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:21 amout of date certificate on lxde.org , it ran out on 29th Nov. and firefox is flagging a security issue which will deter most people from doing the two stage manual override to get here.
This seems to impact the already very low forum usage, all the way down to zero.
Esp. since the server running the forums is configured to redirect HTTP requests to HTTPS.
I agree, someone should check that out, but not me, I'm just a lowly mod.