LXPanel updated and tooltips moved to top of screen

All questions and problems regarding the installation and upgrades of LXDE from USB Stick, Live CD or Web.
ShadowCat8
Location: That shadow you thought you saw something moving in...

LXPanel updated and tooltips moved to top of screen

Post by ShadowCat8 »

Greetings,

I thought I would check here first before submitting this as a bug.

I am running LXDE on Gentoo, and after a world update, all the tooltips from the lxpanel at the bottom of my screen show up at the top of the screen instead of just above the item I am mousing over. This occurs with anything on the lxpanel except items in the Systray. Items in the Systray keep their tooltips right above them, but everything else, the date from Clock, Volume Control level, applications in the taskbar, info from the Desktop Switcher... They all appear at the top of the screen.

Or, put another way, "the lxpanel plugins' and regular applications' tooltips pop up at the top of the screen, even when the panel is on the bottom. The systray items behave as one would expect and seem to follow panel location"

I am running lxde-base/lxde-meta-0.5.5-r7 and lxde-base/lxpanel-0.10.1 on kernel 5.15.30.

I have seen this behavior on two separate systems so far, so I was wondering if anyone else has seen this and knows a way to correct it?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Regards,
ShadowCat8
Last edited by ShadowCat8 on Thu Sep 08, 2022 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Intelligence is the ability to avoid doing work, yet getting the work done"

-- Linus Torvalds
ShadowCat8
Location: That shadow you thought you saw something moving in...

Re: LXPanel updated and tooltips moved to top of screen

Post by ShadowCat8 »

Greetings again,

Well, we have now confirmed that it isn't just me and my systems, as one of the Advocates on the Gentoo Forums has now experienced the same behavior when he aligns his lxpanel at the bottom of the screen. (See https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-8726087.html )

So, the behavior seems to only come when lxpanel is set to the bottom of the screen, as those who put the panel at the top of the screen will get their tooltips where they expect them.

And, to answer the question I can hear coming, I don't care for the lxpanel at the top of the screen as I also use the Guake terminal.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.
"Intelligence is the ability to avoid doing work, yet getting the work done"

-- Linus Torvalds