Desktop icon names truncated I Debian Bullseye

The dedicated forum for PCMan File Manager - http://wiki.lxde.org/en/PCManFM
Drdrm46

Desktop icon names truncated I Debian Bullseye

Post by Drdrm46 »

In LXDE on Debian Stretch and Debian Buster , ~/Desktop desktop entries were displayed as icon plus up to two rows of text for the Name. In Bullseye only one row of text is shown for the Name and the text is truncated unless the Name is short.
I am wondering what, if any, editable parameter there is in any configuration file which can be changed to increase the maximum number of rows of Name text back to two ?
drooly

Re: Desktop icon names truncated I Debian Bullseye

Post by drooly »

Drdrm46 wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:39 am In LXDE on Debian Stretch and Debian Buster , ~/Desktop desktop entries were displayed as icon plus up to two rows of text for the Name. In Bullseye only one row of text is shown for the Name and the text is truncated unless the Name is short.
I am wondering what, if any, editable parameter there is in any configuration file which can be changed to increase the maximum number of rows of Name text back to two ?
I get two rows - it depends on large icon size (set in pcmanfm's settings) and desktop font size (set in desktop preferences).
Even so, long file names are truncated.
But try this first.

If that doesn't help, have a look at this answer. First of all, this can be overridden in $HOME, so no need to edit system files. Then, it isn't exactly the same as with XFCE. To find out more, we'd first need to know if your pcmanfm was compiled with GTK2 or GTK3.
Drdrm46

Post by Drdrm46 »

Thank you for your reply and I did various experiments confirming what you had said - thanks. It also helps to use a narrow font such as Deja Vu Sans Condensed.
However by random chance I got to the root of the problem today. In PCManFM I selected Edit - Preferences - Display and selected 'Always show full filenames' ( which I had previously thought applied to directory listings ) and immediately the full non-truncated icon Names appeared beneath each Icon on the Desktop - so problem solved !
All best.
edward

Post by edward »

I can confirm that this works with the same PCManFM Display preference to show full file names.

The Chromium desktop entry now displays:
Attachments
chrmoium.png
chrmoium.png (5.56 KiB) Viewed 5100 times
Debian Sid - LXDE