Monochrome LXDE?

Please post all general support questions for LXDE here.
Ibuprofen

Monochrome LXDE?

Post by Ibuprofen »

Hello. I have a pretty odd use case and I'm wondering if there is a reasonable way to end up where I'm hoping to. I have a Raspberry Pi 4 connected to the CRT of an old Mac Classic (using these instructions: https://nerdhut.de/2020/03/17/raspberry ... ntrol-crt/) but I'm wondering if there is a method to improve the output. The CRT displays monochrome at 512x342. With the linked technique the screen receives a subset of a single color channel which, while fine for my use case, isn't totally ideal. Ideally I could have the system render monochrome and send that to the CRT. I've spent a bit of time reading about dithering and now I'm wondering if there is a way to interface with LXDE via a plugin or some technique to alter the output from the desktop environment? Or maybe some other thoughts on how to write a bit of code to turn the desktop environment into a dithered monochrome output?

Thank you!
Nanisa1

Re: Monochrome LXDE?

Post by Nanisa1 »

• One way to interface with LXDE and alter the output from the desktop environment is to use xrandr, a command-line tool that can change the screen resolution and orientationhttps://forum.lxde.org/viewtopic.php?t=41678. You can use xrandr to set the output mode to 512x342 and apply a monochrome filter. For example, you can try this command:

xrandr --output HDMI-1 --mode 512x342 --set "Broadcast RGB" "Full" --set "Colorspace" "Monochrome"

This command will set the HDMI output to 512x342 resolution, full RGB range, and monochrome colorspace. You may need to adjust the output name and mode according to your setup. You can also use xrandr to list the available outputs and modes bitlife
Ibuprofen

Post by Ibuprofen »

Thanks I will give that a try!
Kamay

Post by Kamay »

To improve the output of your Raspberry Pi 4 connected to the CRT of an old Mac Classic, you can explore options to render a dithered monochrome output. Here are a few suggestions:

Dithering Techniques: Dithering is a method that simulates shades of gray or other colors by using patterns of dots. You can implement dithering algorithms to convert the Raspberry Pi's output to monochrome. One popular algorithm is the Floyd-Steinberg dithering algorithm. You can write code to apply this algorithm to the Raspberry Pi's desktop environment output.

Custom Desktop Environment: If you want to modify the output directly from the desktop environment, you can consider creating a custom LXDE plugin or modifying an existing one. This approach would require knowledge of LXDE's internals and programming skills to implement the desired functionality.
Jeevika

Post by Jeevika »

A streamlined and understated desktop environment that prioritizes speed and efficiency is provided by Monochrome LXDE.gb whatsapp Its monochromatic design encourages a focus-free operating environment, making it perfect for those who value functionality above showy graphics.
kleasywe

Post by kleasywe »

Very clear. Many thanks for that response.
:D snow rider 3d :D