I removed my window manager, cannot log back in to LXDE

Please post all general support questions for LXDE here.
dsadsdfadd

I removed my window manager, cannot log back in to LXDE

Post by dsadsdfadd »

I went to Menu > Preferences > Desktop Session Settings > Advanced, and for fun, I wanted to see what would happen if I removed the window manager. I did that, tried to log back in and it logged me out. I do not want to reinstall LXDE, as I have so much customization in there. Is there a way I can bring back the window manager?

System: Debian 11 with Linux 5.10 Kernel
julianlum

Re: I removed my window manager, cannot log back in to LXDE

Post by julianlum »

Hi,pizza tower
If you have removed the window manager, you will not be able to use the graphical interface to interact with your system. However, you can still access the command-line interface to reinstall the window manager.
Warte1946

Post by Warte1946 »

basket random
dsadsdfadd wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 3:52 am I went to Menu > Preferences > Desktop Session Settings > Advanced, and for fun, I wanted to see what would happen if I removed the window manager. I did that, tried to log back in and it logged me out. I do not want to reinstall LXDE, as I have so much customization in there. Is there a way I can bring back the window manager?

Removing the window manager can cause your desktop environment to become unusable, as the window manager is responsible for managing the windows and overall desktop interface.
sleepeminent

Post by sleepeminent »

Warte1946 wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 4:12 am only up
dsadsdfadd wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 3:52 am I went to Menu > Preferences > Desktop Session Settings > Advanced, and for fun, I wanted to see what would happen if I removed the window manager. I did that, tried to log back in and it logged me out. I do not want to reinstall LXDE, as I have so much customization in there. Is there a way I can bring back the window manager?

Removing the window manager can cause your desktop environment to become unusable, as the window manager is responsible for managing the windows and overall desktop interface.
is there any way to fix this?
fiberdamaged

Post by fiberdamaged »

I fixed this problem by rebooting. You can try this, sometimes there is some error.

drive mad
nutterbutternut

Post by nutterbutternut »

Resetter is a program that accomplishes the same thing. Once more, I don't think it has been tried out on a lxde distributionmini crossword.
As an alternative, you can attempt to duplicate the original to the impacted computer by booting into a live copy of your distribution. That appears to be an extremely drawn-out and complicated process.
mariah9x

Post by mariah9x »

Access a Terminal: You'll need to open a terminal to make the necessary changes. You can usually access a terminal using a keyboard shortcut, such as Ctrl+Alt+T, or by switching to a virtual terminal with Ctrl+Alt+F2 (you can return to the graphical interface with Ctrl+Alt+F7).

Reinstall Window Manager: You can reinstall the LXDE window manager (usually Openboxwordle) using the package manager. Run the following command to install it:

sudo apt-get install openbox

Restart LXDE: Once the installation is complete, restart LXDE. You can do this by running the following command:

startx
lilycollins34

Post by lilycollins34 »

If LXDE uses a different window manager, you may need to install the appropriate package for that window manager insteadfnaf.
andreen

Post by andreen »

watermelon game When your system restarts, you should be presented with the login screen. Before logging in, make sure that you have LXDE selected as your desktop environment.
oui

Post by oui »

lilycollins34 wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:00 am If LXDE uses a different window manager, you may need to install the appropriate package for that window manager insteadfnaf.
it is really so and as far as I know you always can install out the non graphic level the most efficient window manager beeing «jwm» completely light making

Code: Select all

sudo apt install jwm
as jwm has only a few dependencies (really light to realize) so after that, you have probably a good window manager :mrgreen: !

good luck!