Trash

Please post all general support questions for LXDE here.
mashcaster

Trash

Post by mashcaster »

Why is there no trash can? Is it planned for the future? Is there a work around?
mashcaster

Re: Trash

Post by mashcaster »

Any plan to implement a Trash can in LXDE? When I think of a desktop environment, it seems odd to have a desktop environment which is missing something as vital and basic as a trash can.
edward

Post by edward »

The LXDE maintainer for Mandriva Linux informed me that the trash can is complicated to implement, based on the freedesktop.org Trash specification. I was referred to this page.
Debian Sid - LXDE
xircon

Post by xircon »

So what happens to a file once it is deleted?

I would assume it would be "moved" to /home/your-user-name/.local/share/Trash, but it doesn't. Does it just get physically deleted?

Surely this is easy to implement (move rather than delete), then perhaps implement a "special" version of pcmanfm to deal with the files in trash.
edward

Post by edward »

I would guess that the files and/or folders are physically deleted.
Debian Sid - LXDE
Gumbercules

Post by Gumbercules »

Some people have used the the Thunar file manager to get a trash can. It won't give you one on your desktop, but when you delete files using Thunar it will go to a trash accessable through Thunar. Thunar is also pretty fast and light.
Chriswaterguy

Post by Chriswaterguy »

You can also create a trashcan which will work with command line, and should work with PCManFM (has anyone confirmed this?) This also describes how to create a desktop trash icon.

From http://wiki.lxde.org/en/PCManFM
h4mx0r

Post by h4mx0r »

Perhaps its time all of you realized nothing is ever deleted even if RMed. Go through your file system and retrieve the misplaced files. They have yet to be written over.
archibald haddock

Post by archibald haddock »

Depends on your filesystem.
I am using XFS on my machines and so files are gone, if they are RMed.