PCMANFM vs THUNAR

The dedicated forum for PCMan File Manager - http://wiki.lxde.org/en/PCManFM
dekaru

Re: PCMANFM vs THUNAR

Post by dekaru »

I have been using PCManFM for a while now and I've noticed it's way faster than Thunar. I guess I'll have to go for speed here since that is the main reason why I installed LXDE (I think I've come to prefer it over other WM/DE's anyway :D)

One thing I noticed today is that PCManFM seems to have no luck when succesfully ejecting usb devices such as an iPod or a memory drive. It does unmount them but it doesn't eject them completely. When I unmount them, they still appear in both file managers. Thunar, on the other hand, has both options (umount and eject) and when I eject the devices they're no longer powered and "safe" to unplug.

I found this thread about unmounting/ejecting. Seems to me its safer to use the eject option from Thunar.. Is this issue being looked into?

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=451344
edward

Post by edward »

On my Pentium/166, PCManFM is a lot faster with LXDE than Thunar is with XFCE. :)
Debian Sid - LXDE
nitrofurano

Post by nitrofurano »

and Thunar development looks much more active than PCManFM - i got no feedback yet from PCManFM about that 'My Documents' folder at desktop pointing '~/' instead of '~/Documents/'
tawie

Post by tawie »

I like pcmanfm more than thunar.
maces

Post by maces »

Hi

I prefer PCManFM, because its faster has tabs is easy to use and has (nearly) everything a file manager need. I think the option to add own commands to the right-click menu is a great future of Thunar, which i would like in PCManFm also.

maces
archibald haddock

Post by archibald haddock »

Anyway, who uses file managers? :mrgreen: