Font in LXPANEL too big

The standard panel of LXDE - http://wiki.lxde.org/en/LXPanel
rockdoctor

Re: Font in LXPANEL too big

Post by rockdoctor »

Thank you.

Next request -it's related, so I won't start a new topic, and it's not as important, so if the decision is won't implement, I'm not going to be too terribly disappointed. I'd like to be able to set the font size (and possibly even the font face) in the digital clock independent of the font size in any other applet. The reason for this is that I use a panel height of 24, and I'd like to be able to display the time on two lines without cutting off the bottom line
clock.png
clock.png (3.83 KiB) Viewed 8272 times
Geology - It's not rocket science, it's rock science!
Marty Jack

Post by Marty Jack »

rockdoctor wrote:Thank you.

set the font size in the digital clock independent of the font size in any other applet. The reason for this is that I use a panel height of 24, and I'd like to be able to display the time on two lines without cutting off the bottom line
The attachment clock.png is no longer available
Done in the future-release development code. The text size is the minimum of the panel-wide text size and the clock-specific text size. Works nicely for the two line display.
That particular screenshot with exaggerated geometry has a panel height of 79, an icon size of 24 that is controlling the pager (which is running under Compiz with four workspaces), a text size of 50 points, and a clock override text size of 13. The perceptive reader will also notice the work to center the layout of different plugins on the panel height that came up earlier today.

This has come up quite a few times and it was easy, given that we already have the text size control.
TwoLineClock.png
TwoLineClock.png (3.35 KiB) Viewed 8266 times
hammersend

Post by hammersend »

I'm running Ubuntu 10.04 and I'm trying to compile lxpanel with the font size fix above but everytime I do ./configure and make, it errors out with this:

Code: Select all

batt.c:98: error: ‘alarm’ redeclared as different kind of symbol
/usr/include/unistd.h:429: note: previous declaration of ‘alarm’ was here
batt.c: In function ‘alarmProcess’:
batt.c:109: warning: ignoring return value of ‘system’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result
make[4]: *** [batt.lo] Error 1
make[4]: Leaving directory `/media/250Gig/nate/new_programs/source/lxpanel-0.5.5/src/plugins/batt'
make[3]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/media/250Gig/nate/new_programs/source/lxpanel-0.5.5/src/plugins'
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/media/250Gig/nate/new_programs/source/lxpanel-0.5.5/src'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/media/250Gig/nate/new_programs/source/lxpanel-0.5.5'
make: *** [all] Error 2
I've tried several different release numbers of lxpanel and I've tried it with and without patching all with the same result. I also made sure to compile and install menu-cache and lxmenu-data packages first but nothing seems to be working. Any help would be appreciated.
Garret

Post by Garret »

Today I installed the latest version of lxpanel (0.5.6) and now fonts are very very small then the previous versions!
Either in the panel and the digital clock:

I don't know how to patch... is there a easier way to change font size?
I think it's a very important thing to improve usability.

Infact I have a 22" monitor but I have to come near the screen to see what is written.
nomnex

Post by nomnex »

Same here, the latest lxpanel "broke" my font setting size. I use icon 34 and height 36 on a 15' lcd (1400x1050), because my eyes are not very good. With this setting, the panel font was the equivalent of ~12pt on an average 15' 1024x798, it is now about ~6pt. I don't how to compile either. Having a font size setting option for the panel is a good decision. In the meantime, does anyone knows why the font size has reduced -- it has happend soon after I installed, after updating -- and if the is a ways to set a default font size editing a config. file?
JohnS11

Re: Font SIZE and Font FACE in LXPANEL

Post by JohnS11 »

Both font size and face should be available options in LxPanel. Being able to read the text on buttons in the taskbar is important. My font size is ok but barely readable. We need be be able to have BOLD fonts.

Current setting might be ok for default settings but a number of OS now use LXDE (Lubuntu, Quelitu, Mint LXDE, Ultimate Edition LXDE) and settings, themes and colors are different.

I thought both size and face options were going to be offered in 0.5.6. What happened?

Is there a workaround for font face?

LXDE is great but needs a few fixes. Despite those, great work!
mathiraj

Post by mathiraj »

LXDE is awsome. I use it on my home pc and laptop. Thanks for the wonderful software.

For me too, the panel fonts are not of the same size as the rest of the desktop and it looks odd.
It will be wonderful if lxpanel can honour the font settings.

regards
johnny

Post by johnny »

Unfortunately, I have the opposite problem and its not just with lxpanel. I'm using LUbuntu 11.10 and I get extremely small fonts which are illegable not only in lxpanel but lxdm as well. My monitor is a 32 inch HDTV with an NVIDIA GTX 550 Ti Video Card. The resolution I need is 1920 x 1080. I have set the fonts manually to 16px, app by app. I used OBConf and LXAppearance to try to set everything else to 16 px. Unfortunately, lxpanel and lxdm forces you to use 10px. When I try to recompile lxpanel as shown in the example of how the guy made the font smaller, it worked to make it larger but it removed my volume control applet. So basically I am stuck with teeny fonts in lxpanel and lxdm. Though at least I could use my volume control now.

http://imagepaste.nullnetwork.net/viewimage.php?id=3461

This is pretty much self explanitory. I couldn't take a screenshot of lxdm but again being forced into having a 10 px font on my HDTV is horrid. I'd hate to see someone who is using a 40 inch try to even read it. Not everyone uses tablets and netbooks you know.