Flash video not working

Please post all general support questions for LXDE here.
Chriswaterguy

Flash video not working

Post by Chriswaterguy »

Flash video (or whatever Youtube is) is not working. It loads but doesn't play properly (If I drag the progress indicator, it might play a few seconds, then stall until dragged to a different point in the video; and so on like that.).

I'm using Mandriva 2009.0 Gnome with LXDE installed on top and my browser is SwiftFox, which is mostly the same as Firefox. Before LXDE they played fine, I think, and if I start in Gnome plus OpenBox, again they play fine.

Btw, thanks so much for making this desktop. I've had a couple of hiccups, but nonetheless I can see it is very nicely coded, and has enormous potential.
xircon

Re: Flash video not working

Post by xircon »

Which flash program do you have installed? I was on gnash and having the same types of problems as you. I removed gnash and installed the "proper" flash program from Adobe and now everything just works.
butdie

Post by butdie »

gnash trunk currently plays all youtube for me, and progress bar works too.

0.8.4 is too old here
Chriswaterguy

Post by Chriswaterguy »

Update - it works almost fine until I suspend my laptop. On restarting, it won't play properly.
xircon wrote:Which flash program do you have installed? I was on gnash and having the same types of problems as you. I removed gnash and installed the "proper" flash program from Adobe and now everything just works.
How do I know what I have installed? Looking at Install/Uninstall, I see that gnash is marked as not installed, but as is Adobe flash... but libflashsupport is installed, which supports Adobe. So, thus confused, I discover about:plugins, which tells me (pardon the formatting mess):

Shockwave Flash

File name: libflashplayer.so
Shockwave Flash 9.0 r48

MIME Type Description Suffixes Enabled
application/x-shockwave-flash Shockwave Flash swf Yes
application/futuresplash FutureSplash Player spl Yes

Shockwave Flash

File name: libflashplayer.so
Shockwave Flash 9.0 r124

MIME Type Description Suffixes Enabled
application/x-shockwave-flash Shockwave Flash swf Yes
application/futuresplash FutureSplash Player spl Yes

So if it doesn't show in the installer, I don't know how I'm supposed to change. Which means spending more time figuring out how to do it. I'm just going to live without video for the next couple of weeks, as I don't have time for this now. I would have thought that something like flash should just work.