Debian LXDE on eee pc 1000

All questions and problems regarding the installation and upgrades of LXDE from USB Stick, Live CD or Web.
Gumbercules

Debian LXDE on eee pc 1000

Post by Gumbercules »

How would the eee debian lxde (the one specifically tweaked for eees)install on an eee pc 1000? I would like to install windows on the 32 GB drive and this on the 8, but I'm afraid this might wipe everything. It would be nice if it configured grub to boot windows too, but I suppose I can find out how to do that myself.
Gumbercules

Re: Debian LXDE on eee pc 1000

Post by Gumbercules »

Well, it seems that it will install on just the first drive. But I'd still like to know if it would detect windows and set up Grub, as I'm not sure how to do that.
stanjam

Re: Debian LXDE on eee pc 1000

Post by stanjam »

I am running LXDE with Eeebuntu on the 1000. It works very nicely. Everything is faster, and it is reporting to me that I am getting an additional half hour of battery life. Streaming video no longer stutters. One of the best things is that eee-control works, so i can kill the touchpad!

The bad ting? Your wireless will not work out of the box. The network monitor simply will not see ra0. You can fix this by installing and running madwifi (you only need to do this once, and the network monitor will see your wireless from then on. I was even able to get on my WPA wireless by creating a profile for my homme network on madwifi. Just choose the "use WPA" option and set the driver to "wext"

Enjoy. I am loving LXDE. It makes the Eee pc run very smoothly. In fact it is quite a bit faster than Gnome! I am also very happy if the battery life increase happens to be true.